sticky shanty poles (hey papaperch)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Dec 7, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

papaperch, i was messing around in my shanty last night. never forgot about the thread regarding your guide. my poles have always been a bit "sticky" (not too bad, but enough to notice) and i finally figured out the cause of the sticky poles ....its the push buttons. the push buttons are under a lot of tension. if they werent, they wouldnt pop out into the hole of the upper pole. when they are pushed in, they are still under tension and they rub the inside of the upper aluminum poles. look at the buttons. mine all have worn, rough shiny spots from wearing on the upper poles.

i havent tried to fix this but i think the solution is to take all of the poles completely apart, somehow remove the button peice. take pliers and crush the folded button "spring" (the fold of the metal that the button is a part of) down just enough so that it will still do its job but yet relax the tension a bit so that it doesnt rub so hard on the upper pole.

while its apart, it would be a good idea to wax it like mark said years ago or i was thinking silicone spray, only in the upper part where the button slides against the upper pole. thats the upper pole, from the button hole up all the way, about 2' or so (?)

the absloute best solution would be if there could be some way to make that button out of teflon plastic. but thats unreasonable.

like i said i havent tried to do anything yet, was just looking into it last night because i always get aluminum particles around the base of the poles and i could never figure out why that was. i thought it might be burred up, but its not, theres plenty of room for the poles to slide into each other.

2. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Hardwaterfan........I paid you a compliment(in another thread) about this kind of stuff(using your brain)in a constant battle with the elements....So I'll forgo the acclamation on your discovery......My 19 years old Frabill has square tubing and as long as I remember to give it quick shot of WD or other lubricant on a (whenever it sticks basis) things slide just perfect.....Just remember to wipe of the excess......or the fillings will mix with the lubricant and drip a dark grey to almost black residue that will find it's way on to any thing new/light colored or/ justed cleaned......Oh yes, since I worked in the MFG industry.......pop-up pins of HYFAX would also be instrumental in reducing this problem......Great OBSERVATION on your part....Jon Sr.

3. hardwaterfan

thanks mrphish. i guess its pretty obvious i enjoy discussing anything and everything related to ice fishing. i shouldve been born in Canada.

4. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Instructions for my Frabill shanty are to use ski wax to lubricate the poles. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding ski wax. Dick's is always out of it.

5. I have yet to find a solution. Seems like everything works ok until you get out on the lake. Then Murphys Law comes into effect. " Whatever can go wrong will go wrong ".

Big project for me right now is hand tying my own super small jigs 1/100 and 1/80 oz jigs. Also making my own underwater camera rig with a 6" LCD color tv . Should not need shroud for daylight viewing. Been ready for ice for weeks.

6. hardwaterfan

what gets me is how much more brutal winter weather is when youre actually out standing in it compared to just thinking about it :D good luck with your projects