close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

stickers for used canoe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willy, Jun 23, 2007.

1. willy

willy no boat

I bought a old used 14ft canoe with no numbers/stickers on it, does anyone know what I need to do to get stickers for it in the Eastlake area? Do the marinas on the Chagrin do boat stickers? Long story short my father bought it for me because he knows I have been looking to get one and he got it from someone in his area and paid cash for it so I have no reciept or bill of sale, I havent picked it up yet so I dont know if it has a I.D. plate or hull I.D. on it but it's not hot as far as I know and I have no reason to belive it is.
    Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice-

2. Check out this site:
    http://www.ohiodnr.com/watercraft/opsguide/default.htm

Titling of Watercraft & Outboard Motors
    (ORC 1548.03 & 1548.01)
    No person is permitted to sell, purchase or otherwise acquire any of the following without a certificate of title:

* an outboard motor of 10 horsepower or greater;
    * a watercraft 14 feet or greater in length;
    * a watercraft less than 14 feet in length with a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion of 10 horsepower or greater.

Watercraft exempt from this requirement are:

* vessels documented by the U.S.Coast Guard;
    * canoes and kayaks;
    * watercraft less than 14 feet in length without a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion;
    * watercraft less than 14 feet in length with a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion of less than 10 horsepower;
    * boats from other countries;
    * ship's lifeboat;
    * boats owned by government agencies;
    * motors less than 10 horsepower.

If a titled boat is sold by an individual (a casual sale), the seller must complete the transfer section on the back of the title in the presence of a notary public before presenting it to the buyer. The buyer must take the title to a title office to complete the transfer.

NOTE: Some watercraft listed above and on the previous page may not have needed a title when it was originally purchased. Prior to selling the watercraft, however, the owner must apply to a title office and obtain a title. These include:

* watercraft or outboards purchased on or before October 9, 1963;
    * watercraft less than 14 feet long with a permanently affixed mechanical means of propulsion of 10 horsepower or greater and purchased on or before January 1, 2000.

3. snag

snag

when you get the canoe home check for a serial # on it somewhere then take the # with you to your local b m v place and tell them this canoe was stored a long time and has no stickers or numbers on it and that is what i need,they will issue new # s for it and your three year sticker for it,it,s cheaper with hand powered than if you use a motor with it,i just got a new canoe two wks ago and the license bureau set me up pefect and no hassle then i got my numbers out and put them on the sides,you can get a full set of sticker numbers at walmart in the marine area for about five bucks or so and there,s doubles of everything letters and numbers,i got a odnr watercraft book at the license place and it explains all the stuff about stickers to laws it,s a freebie usually in there pamphlet rack,good luck.............

4. willy

willy no boat

Thanks for the quick reply's, I was starting to think my "good deal" was going to turn into a hassle. I know its not much of a boat but its a start for now, my father called me when he came across it to see if i was interested in it and the description he gave was "its solid with no holes or patches BUT.... it looks like someone gave a bunch of kids a box of crayons and said decorate it!!! LOL so when I get it I think I will have to change the tag under my name from "no boat" to "ugly little boat" LOL
    Thanks again for helping out.