close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stem Cell Research

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARGEE, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Was The Discussion On This Closed?

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

It's got a padlock on it. Probably got political.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Well, Argee, I just read the thread. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it was locked.

This is a fishing forum, yet there are topics about uninsured motorists, peoples kids wanting to pee in the toilet for the first time, and all sorts of other topics, yet members can't give and hear other members views on something as important as stem cell research? I don't get it.

By the way, I'm all for it. From my understanding of it, the stem cells are taken from embryos that weren't able to mature into a fetus anyway. That's all I'll say.

4. catking

catking Banned

Yes it was locked by a member of the OGF Team... Stem cell reserch in itself is deeply rooted politically in it's discussion .... sorta like Row vs Wade.... That is also political..... Sorry guys, but I have to agree with the closing .... Thanks.

5. catking

catking Banned

Guys and gals- To answer those who say I can't see why- The arguments against stem cell is also on the political side as well as religious side . Those who argue either for or against has to have the Religion or political side as a tool for discussion.... This is why we decided to close said thread as there is no way around this issue without the religion or political views being used... I know it's a catch 22... but that's the way it is.... Hope this helps you all to understand.... Thanks - Rick.

6. All I Want To Say Is Any Kind Of Research That Would Help Mankind Should Be Allowed..im Not Talking Religion In Anyway.to See Kids And Young People Suffer With Cystic Fibrosis Is Heart Breaking..the Age Or Average Age Someone Lives With This Dreadful Disease Is Up To 33.im Very Thankful To Have A Milder Case.....without Research People Would Be Dieing Before They Reach 19...

7. Now just when did I get as political as stem cell research catking? :D

For the record, Roe is the court decision, Row is a means of propulsion using oars.
    This has been another apolitical message brought to you by.................me. :D

Carry on.

8. fishits

fishits Banned

My 1st post here is on something I think is very important to many people on both sides of the issue
    I hope it never comes about because conception starts when the egg becomes viable and is fertilized. In China that is your birthday
    That statement is as wrong as any can ever be.
    I have gave my thoughts and they are mine never to be changed by someone or anything which at my age is a good thing because you may have to remind me in the morning what I said today
    I cannot understand why anyone would think to lock this thread if lock means closing it forever
    I am new at this online computer stuff but to stifle a man and his thoughts sounds like something I fought a couple wars to keep from ever coming about

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Argee and others,

As Catking has already stated the discussion on Stem Cell research is an important and timely topic. It is also one of the most hotly debated subjects going. We here at OGF are not against hot subject matter however we do have and have had from day one rules prohibiting religious or political debates.

This is where any discussion on stem cell research becomes difficult here. I don't think there is a person alive that is against any cure for disease. I think everyone would like to see cures. The problem arrives when the method for finding these cures violates somes religious beliefs.

How can you debate a subject that the entire basis for separation of opinions in based SOLELY in religion and politics. There are NO other issues of separation of views on this subject.

Hetfieldinn cites, "yet there are topics about uninsured motorists, peoples kids wanting to pee in the toilet for the first time, and all sorts of other topics, yet members can't give and hear other members views on something as important as stem cell research? I don't get it."

None of these topics or opinions on either side are rooted in religion, it's hardly an apple to apple comparison.

We all here at OGF believe that this is a very important subject matter, that should be debated by each individual according to his or hers beliefs and views. However we also believe that there are better places to conduct the debate than here. It is impossible, due to the basis for opposing views, to fully debate this subject without violating the rules that have been in place from day one.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Kim

10. Fishits, 1st let me say thank you for fighting those wars so I can have my freedom. There is not a day that goes by that I dont think about how lucky I am to have the freedom that I do and think about those like yourself that gave it to me and the many others who paid the ultimate price. What wars did you fight in? What branch?

2nd, welcome to OGF its a great site for FISHING info. You will finds lots of great info and great people here. There will be some topics that are not about fishing but anything that the owners think is too much of a political or religous topic they will close, somtimes I agree with sometimes I dont. But I dont have a dime invested in this site and its up to the owners to run it as they see fit, not me. You said you are new to the online chat stuff, if you do a search on yahoo or another search engine you can find chat rooms and other sites where you can talk about anything you want, and I do mean anything! People have strong opinions about a lot of things, and thats great to speak up about what you believe is right and wrong, but discussions can get pretty heated and I think the owners of this site want to keep things as friendly as possible. Also there are some young people who visit the site and I dont think any of us want to turn them off to fishing.

Last, I hope you have a GREAT Memorial weekend.

11. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Let's just all hug and sing kum-by-yah!!! I love you guys and gals!

12. catking

catking Banned

Sorry about that Row Vs Wade... :D I believe myself and Lundy have about summed up our feelings as to why this topic was put out to pasture... Just like this thread is about to be........ ;) .............. Rick