close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stem Cell Research

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd like to know how the members here think about this issue about life, death and the possibility of curing many through scientific research using stem cells... I do not know how I sit on this issue and would welcome dialog that would point me one way or another...
    Over 100 million Americans suffer from diseases that may eventually be treated more effectively with stem cells or even cured. These include heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.

PLEASE refrain from any POLITICAL or RELIGOUS comments which are not allowed PERIOD
    I ask that our moderators PLEASE delete or edit them out...
    as always THANKS in advance
    Clyde

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Clyde, much like you I dont knwo where I stand, I dont know enoguh about it, but from a religious standpoint I guess I'm not for it. -I hope that wasnt a "religious" statement, I was tryignt o use it as a blanket statement, if it's not okay, please delete it.

3. I don't know either man...
    I am kind of like you in that regard...
    Maybe some fellow members can open my eyes...

4. I'm all for it if it could help my daughter some day if any thing were to happen to her .I have to stop there because i'm anti_ _ _ _ , and anti_ _ _

5. One person could save millions with his or her steam cells. Look at that way and we say ok it is worth that one person. My question to myself is, would that one person agree with this theory or are we making the decision for that person.
    Hard choice but put me down for allowing one to speak for themself.

6. dnm

dnm

Im all for it, but Im in the medical field so I know how they COULD help

7. I am all for it, . Thats about all I can say without bringing politics and/or religion into it :D

8. I am not sure either :rolleyes: I guess the thing I worry about the most is people going too far with it?????

9. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

110% agree with this. W/out scientific research we would not be where we are today as far as medicine and being able to help those that are in need of medical help.
    People that get thier panties in a bunch because of animal testing and so forth I just don't understand. Do you think that if a person, lets say a PETA person were in a situation that they needed a treatment that was perfected on animals. Lets also say a "few" monkeys had to die because of research that was perfected through the monkey paying the ultimate price. Well if that person decided to decline the treatment and they passed on. I look at it as if they were not smart enough to take advantage of what was available to them then they deserved what they got.
    As Dennis Miller once said, if I needed a heart transplant and it came down to me and CoCo the sign language speaking gorilla; "Well I'm sorry CoCo, it's been nice signing with you"!

10. worminator

worminator I'll be bach

All for it here. Like Raines I have a daughter who needs a cure. It's tough for a parent to sit and watch and not be able to help. nuff said

11. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

All you have to ask yourself is....is it ok to kill a fetus to save a life? Its pretty much that simple. BTW i haven't been able to answer that question yet.

Mitch

12. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

i am for it. days old frozen embryo is not a fetus in my eyes. made in a petry dish, not attached to a womb......etc etc wheres it start? wheres it end? my wife has MS. theres is nothing more that i want in this world, is for her to have a semi normal quality of life further down the road (think Richard Pryor, today). if this research could help any way at all for any givin disease...so be it.

i see theres a new drug for premature ________ in men.... wow, now theres some quality research :rolleyes: when a bottle of booze has the same effect.

13. Gin was my choice for an all nighter LOL

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Tough call, hopefully they can use your own cells. I don't like the need for fetus tissue, but then again, they are readily availible at this time too. Would not want anyone producing a fetus for research, but for ones already destroyed, maybe something good could come of them.
    Really tough question, and we only know what they are telling us. What about using the patient's cells or an adult's cells? I've heard they work too.
    It's got to do with making cells which don't have an identity or something, then when put in a patient, grow to become the tissue they need or are lacking. Then again, I may be altogether wrong in my perception too.

15. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Frozen embryos are born everyday. Again, i see everyones point and they are all valid.

Mitch

16. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I don't believe the fertilized egg is a "fetus" till it has implanted itself in the uterus. Once it has been implanted only then is it capable of of growing and sustaining itself. That's my defination of life.

An embryo on the other hand is just a fertilized egg. Leave it alone and it will be unable to grow AND sustain itself. That to me is not a life. It is but one part of a precursor to life.

Harvest all the embryos you want for research. I don't consider stem cell research as killing anything.
    Try as you might you cannot stop science and the processes of discovery. One day very soon mankind will be able to clone humans.

17. It wont be long and you'll just go place an order for your baby.

18. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Elvis will live AGAIN!!

:D

19. My answer is YES

20. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

as in cut you off from all nourishment and life-sustaining fluids, you would die. Does that mean you aren't alive right now, or not a human being?

The whole "is it a life yet or is it not" argument holds no water with me. The "self-sustaining" rule doesn't work either. Very few people on this Earth are truly self-sustaining. Simply look at the number of people who die every year from starvation and you can see that.

I believe that an egg by itself and a sperm by itself are alive, but are not a "life". They aren't a human being in their singleness. However, when those two meet and begin to form, as soon as they mesh, they are a life. What else could they be? Where do you suddenly draw the line as to what is life and what isn't. Can you watch a clock and suddenly at the tick of the second hand decide the "blob of cells" has suddenly become a human being?

The whole issue is so polarizing that I don't think anyone can be either wholly for or against it. I see the vast good that could come from it- I also see the utter disdain we have for unborn life and it makes me ache inside. It's easy to dismiss the unborn because they have no voice. I see it differently.

So, if they can harvest stem cells from the person they wish to work with, great. But don't start growing human babies simply to kill them for their cells.

UFM82

Religion- Politics- It's all there. Politics would not exist without a moral guide inside.