Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from some remarks made about the spawn ,some seem to think it is successful???? i thaught the steelhead fishery was put-n-take???

G

·
The spawn is not too successful, due to siltation in the rivers. The fry can't survive the high temps in the river, therefore it is a put n take fishery.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Mostly put-n-take. There are a few streams out east and a few smaller tribs of tribs that may hold some fish due to spawning. In a few cooler summers, I have caught some small trout in August that were too small to be smolts stocked in the spring and with much different coloring than the stockers. This was well upstream in a stocked river in a stretch with an abundance of fast and somewhat deep water.

Even in those areas, it would be tough for a naturally hatched trout to make it out to the lake, due to: excessively warm water temps during most summers, low oxygen during low flow periods, bigger fish eating the smaller trout, catching without successful release by fisherman, birds (the herons love the little trout), and the trip back to the lake after spending over a full year upstream trying to avoid all of the above. I hae caught a few trout in the 16" to 20" range in that stretch that don't look anything like a stocked steelhead = different coloring, perfectly formed fins and tail. I wouldn't be suprised if these stayed upstream after being naturally hatched.

I would guess that the natural reproduction accounts for a fraction of a percent of the trout returning from the lake.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,174 Posts
The fry need to spend the summer in the creek or river. If it goes much above 70 degrees, they won't make it. That covers most of thestreams in Ohio.

A few years back, I was netting darters for my fishtank. It was avery dry summer, so the stream I was inflowed mostly spring water all summer, keeping it cool. I found this guy.

If it wouldn't have been just perfect conditions that summer, he wouldn't have made it. Pretty rare occurence.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
from some remarks made about the spawn ,some seem to think it is successful???? i thaught the steelhead fishery was put-n-take???
As was stated a fraction of a percent of steelhead hatched in spring survive and only in a few tribs. With that being said I release all fish for a couple of reasons:

To me, they are such a blast to catch that it makes no sense for them to be caught only once.

To me, they taste like crap!! Any fish or game that I have to prepare in a way as to cover up their taste (smoke, brine or marinate) I would rather not eat. Pearch, walleye, crappie, bluegill, catfish are fish that (to me) are meant to be harvrsted.

I look at steelhead as I would muskie, neither spawns with enough success in Ohio to maintain a fishable population and must be stocked, but most folks do not look at muskie as "put and take" and I do not look at steehead that way either.

Just my pennies worth,
reo

·
Off the beaten path
940 Posts
CC,

Is that bottom pic that fish now? Pretty cool. Do you still have it?

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do not keep them either. but by put n take ,i meant that they are put in there for us to take. like the walleye at mosquito and pymatuming. there were some talking about leaving them alone when they are on the beds spawning . so as not to hurt the spawn . but i thaught the spawn was never successfull anyway.

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
there were some talking about leaving them alone when they are on the beds spawning . so as not to hurt the spawn . but i thaught the spawn was never successfull anyway.
Ecellent point. To those who think it's wrong, should re-think... IMO.

I only account for about 6-10 catches a year, usually a few trips to RR when they are shallow and visible, all caught legally on a fly and mostly released.

Except for the one on the wall.

GL
Dave

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,174 Posts
Yo Fishing Pole - The first pic was when I caught him - about 2" long.
Second pic was a year later before I let him go -he was @6" long and lost all
his parr markings.
He was kept in a 150gal tank - lotsa current, and I ran water lines outside throught coils to keep the tank cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts