Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ranger 374V with an Evinrude 150XP. The motor was rebuilt about a year ago and has ran great with no problems. Today when I took it out, I could not get the motor to turn left or right when moving the steering wheel. What could this possibly be? I would move maybe an inch or so each way and the steering wheel is not froze up. Is there gear lube, fluid, or is it something mechanical that I should be looking for. I have no idea how the steering on these boats actually works. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Mine did the same thing a several years ago. Is this the first time you took it out this year? I took it to the shop and all they did was add grease to the arm and it was fine. Hopefully that is what is wrong with yours and not a costly repair.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Check and see if there is a friction adjustment on your motor, if there is, they MAY have tightened it on your motor. It is an outside shot!!!!!
John

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
The motor(steering wheel) must be low on oil. Should be a fill hole on it and you might have a leak. Fill and bleed at the steer cly on the motor. Then check for leak. If the rod on the cly is pitted it should be replaced. Water dries on the rod leaving water spots that eat chrome. Wipe dry after each use!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts