Steelies this weekend

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Steelhauler, Dec 3, 2007.

1. I finally got a chance to fish for some Steelies. Between work and the weather this was my first real attempt this season.

I hit the Rock first thing Friday morning. I only had an hour or so to fish before work. I went 3 for 5, two on spawn and one on minnow.
    I gave Vermilion a shot on Saturday. It was cold. The water was still a bit muddy and there was a little slush first thing in the morning. I went 7 for 8 in the 4 hours that I was there. Six of the fish came on spawn and the rest on minnows.
    Then I went to take the dog for a walk down by the Rock at around 9:00am on Sunday and was surprised to find that there was hardly anyone out fishing. I hit a hole that usually holds fish and went 4 for 6 in about 45 minutes. All four that I landed were caught on spawn, the two that I missed were on minnows.

The strange thing about this weekend was that with the water conditions I would have thought the fish would have been at the head of the holes, but it was just the opposite. Ninety percent of the fish that I hooked were in the tail outs. Go figure!

Wes

2. i also fished vermilion saturday and sunday. and it was very cold. sunday was actually colder in the A.M. than staurday with some actual river freezing in the slow spots, it did warm up nicely though. sat went 6 for 10 all on steelie orange eggs. sunday only 4 for 5, 2 on chartruse sucker spawn and 2 on steelie orange eggs. i too started at the begining of the runs and you are right, actually caught most of the fish near the end of the holes. had a really good time as i went out with a old fishing freind that hasn't been out much as of late due to an illness...he did get some fish though, so that was a spirit booster!!! saturday had more anglers on the water than sunday but drove by a hunting spot on sunday and it was packed! a lot of guys must have been in the fields. thats not for me i would rather be on the long pond! well happy trails!