Steelie Sucker spawn color for flies

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by sevenx, Mar 30, 2008.

1. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I have been hearing debate over the color of sucker spawn flies. What are some of your opinions out there.

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

I have pink and White sizes 8-14 in my box.

3. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

Pink and orange are usually my go to colors but chartreuse, green, white, blue, red yellow and purple haqve all worked. Sometimes ya gotta give them what they havent seen.

4. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

When I use SS, my goto is a green.
    But have peach, pink, red, and chartreuse on me at all times.

That being said, I dont throw SS very often.

5. Umm, I know other like different colors but if water is decent with say 18" or better of visibility, why throw anything other then what real SS looks like?, tiny looped SS in a cream/light yellow is all I will throw and Ill put my numbers up against anyone.
    Now, with that being said, if water is highly off color, I will throw a darker yellow with an red blood spot and again, if fish are around I always catch as many or more then everyone around me, its a lot like the Maumee walleye run, I laugh when I hear posts about only this color or that color jig head with a certain color grub, etc. I always threw a chartreuse 3" twister tail and again, if fish were around and biting at all, would always catch some.I used to fish that several times a spring for about 10 years but havent been up there in about 15 years.

It all comes down to presentation primarily, if they are biting, presentation will ALWAYS trump color in my opinion, then size is secondary, dont get me started on trout when I always catch moody rising fish with my nymphs and really tick off my dry fly purist buddies...let the debate begin.....:D

Salmonid

6. For clear water is peach...for higher water I like chartreuse...

Dan

7. Pink has been my best color. I've also done good on white or this salmon orange color I tied up. Over all though a solid pink or pink combination has produced the best.

8. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

The last time I had a successful trip white was on fire. They would not take anything else. I think I went 3 for 12 that day. I normally don't hook up that often. I will say it's no differnt than Erie, sometimes color means nothing, sometimes it makes all the difference. Figuring it out is more challenging than landing them, lol. GL...fellas.

[​IMG]

9. i have a ton of colors,with variations of each color.there are times when colors don't matter,and there are times when the slightest color change will triger strikes.same color,but slightly different. beigh,yellow,char,and orange,are my top producers,but i use many

10. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

Salmonid said it best. Presentation is more important

11. I have not used sucker spawn flies in 7 years .. lol..

12. My spring go to colors are white and pink caught majority of fish on those then any other colors but that is just me.

13. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Thanks for the input guys, I guess all those black one's I tied can head for the garbage can;0 ;). S