close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelie patterns

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by BigDaddy300, Oct 16, 2007.

1. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

These are a few of the patterns that I tie for steelie fishing. They are very simple but work extremely well in certain conditions. The pics are not that great but I am still working on that. These are last season's ties. Once I get going this year I might get some more pics up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice looking flies BigDaddy300. I've got a couple questions.
    1) The 4th fly down, is that just peacock herl and biots?
    2)5th fly down can't tell what it is. What is it? and a pattern.
    3) Bottom fly, Sweet and simple.
    Nice looking ties. We need some rain to get the show on the road!:)

3. Recently out east I had a fun time fly fishing, went 9 for 7 using size 16 black stone fly. Lost my last retail stone fly on a snag. The forth fly down looks great, since I don't have any biots, I tied your pattern using black rubber legs.

If it works I'll post a pic.

4. BigDaddy300

Thanks!!! To answer your questions:
    1) You guessed it. I also tie the same pattern with ostrich herl in gray and olive. Sometimes I will add a gold bead head. I can tie them up really fast and they work great in clear water in size 14 and 16.
    2) It is also a nymph. I call it a sparkle nymph. I can not remember the exact name of the material used for the body but it is some sort of sparkle dubbing, cream in color. I wax the thread and use a dubbing twister. I will try to come up with he name of the material. I have caught some nice fish on that pattern. It really catches the light in the water and, as the name implies, "sparkles"

I do not get a lot of time to sit at the bench so I try to come up with really fast ties that will catch fish.

Thanks again for the comments. Bring on the rain!!!

5. BigDaddy300

Thanks!!! It is my best producer. Very easy tie. I would like to see the pics of yours. When I first started tying that pattern I used a few hackle fibers for the tail. It worked very well. Good luck!!!

6. Thanks for the answers BigDaddy300. They look like fish catchers.