close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

steelie dream shattered(pic)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by zachtrouter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Got out on the water early this a.m. Went with Pops and started drifting spawn sacs about 6:30. Pops had a hookup about an hour in but lost the fish after about 30 seconds. Water was very clear but had a good flow to it today. About 3hrs into wading a new stretch of river I pulled out a solid 22" female. She was gut-hooked and bleeding bad so I threw her on the stringer for some uncured spawn. Here is a pic.[​IMG]
    Then my next cast I hookup on another one but this one makes a solid 25yard run up river. A couple jumps and couple more runs.. After 5-6 minutes I get the fish on the little ledge/slope right on the edge of shore. This fish was easily my PB and had to be close to if not 30inches. He rolled on the slope wrapped my line around his body and BOOM snapped my line. I swear I saw him smiling as he slid back in the water in slow-motion. I tried to grab him up but I had no chance, he was gone!!!! I could not and still cant believe I let that fish get away.......You cant win them all but this is one that hurts and will haunt me for a while. Total we went 1-3 but what a great day it was!

2. I feel your pain. One of the first steelhead I ever tangled with was a big male. This fish had been in the river for a long time so it didn't really fight that hard, but he was big+/-12#. Anyway, I got him to the bank and tried to get him in my net I caught my hook on the net, fish broke off. At this point my prize fish was in 8" of water so I did the only logical thing, making a solid tackle. At the time I thought that the 10 or so fisherman within sight were impressed with my effort, 10 years later Im not so sure. Its all about the memory, not the fish. Have not landed a bigger fish since then

3. i just be glad to catch a steelie of any size. i,m hop,in to try my luck this year. what size fly rod does any one recomind for a first timmer?

4. I recommend an 8 foot M to MH spinning rod with a top quality 8-10 lb. line for a first timer. Most people actually move up to fly fishing after some level of experience with the spinning tackle. Don't rush it--unless you've done EXTENSIVE flyfishing, you might get discouraged and loose interest starting out with a flyrod. Just my two cents worth....

5. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

There will be another zach.
    Steelhead that size are a great treat but are really not that uncommon.

6. 7 weight. Some guys go as light as 6 weight. You can use an 8 if you throw heavier stuff.

7. Zach.....didn't you tell me when we fished in the spring that you thought maybe you needed glasses?:confused: :confused:

8. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Bob, Your right I cant see so it probaly went about 32"-34":D ;) :p

9. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

definately much bigger steel in there...losing the big ones is what keeps up going back... I lost two this season(brutal line snaps) that were probably around 30+ by comparison but lost a monster last season that that will haunt me forever because it makes it harder to convince someone how big the fish was ( high teens) without a picture holding it..;)

10. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Dan I am going back after that 30incher on fri a.m. I will be on the water by 5am drifting my spawn sacs non-stop until I get that badboy. I might even settle for a 29.5incher.:p

11. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

one thing you can be sure on is they are in there...

12. Lokt

Lokt

A good way to eliminate gut hooked fish is to use circle hooks. There is a trick to them, though. Don't set the hook. Just reel in any slack as the fish tightens the line. The hook will pivot into the corner of the mouth and 'set' itself once the lines tightens and the fish turns to swim away. This makes for easy removal with a pair of stats/pliers. The fish need not even be removed from the water.

13. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Nice post.
    I did not know that about the circle hooks.