Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was at the Steelhead Expo today. The salmon that was caught was a pink salmon, caught when getting steelhead to the tank display for the expo. Did see a dead skipper off the observation deck of the nature center. A couple of kids said they saw one caught by the nature center today. Been fishing for steelhead on the Rocky since ’92-93 and can’t remember seeing the river this low in all my time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I was at the Steelhead Expo today. The salmon that was caught was a pink salmon, caught when getting steelhead to the tank display for the expo. Did see a dead skipper off the observation deck of the nature center. A couple of kids said they saw one caught by the nature center today. Been fishing for steelhead on the Rocky since ’92-93 and can’t remember seeing the river this low in all my time.
yea rivers are getting lower and lower every year

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yea ive been fishing these rivers since the 70s and over the last 10 years ive noticed the level has dropped dramatically..that ford you are talking about, when i was a kid had about a foot of water going over the top of it year round...in the summer it would drop down but by this time of the year it would be back up again
Now, like you said, you can walk across it without getting your feet wet all the time cept after a heavy rain

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Wow, with 4-7! Inches of rainfall in last couple days plus next couple days in the “nearshore counties”, a big flush of fish up the cooler, flooded tribs should be happening soon. Prob is, those fish better not go “too far“ upstream! They’ll be “net-able/vulnerable” in the shallow streams further inland that aren’t getting all that rain!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Water is actually up a good few feet then when I fished the southern part of Chagrin since April/May/June... At least where I live.

Banks I caught some Steelheads off of in April are submerged... Granted I'm fishing near my house on the branches, went farther up north to Polos and water is up there too, compared to spring.

Haven't had any luck with Steels since early May, had alot of luck with smalls til last month when it died out, figure might be another month before extreme southern area of Chagrin has any action.

But ya, you guys saying the water is down, I live on the Aurora branch and the water is actually up quite a bit since spring melt... Which is refreshing, considering all the res i fish on and the water is down 5-8ft there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts