close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

steelhead

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FISHERLADY, Oct 4, 2004.

1. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

Well, I think I may go steelheading for the very, very, first time up at Fairport Harbor. Anybody else going? Me and striperman are stronging considering going there for my Birthday. I have never caught trout! He has... he has a big mounted wild rainbow trout from Lake Cumberland, KY. that he caught. Hey CRAPPIELOOKER! IF YOU READ THIS EMAIL ME. Do you still live up North? Either way grab your poles and get your dog and go try it.... lol :D

2. Just don't forget to set those drags right. If you don't, you'll know it REAL QUICK!!!!

Have fun...

3. I wonder if a weekday would be better then a weekend up there (CROWDS) ?
    GOOD LUCK!!

4. Dingo

Dingo

Mid-day on the weekday is the best crowd-wise. Not the best time of day to fish, but a better chance to find some fish these days since the hoards in the morning often spook willing biters until later in the day. Sunday afternoon/evening (especially on a Sunday with a browns game) isn't bad as well. Mornings tend to be a race to be the 'first to the spot'.

5. Went out yesterday, Monday, and got skunked (at Fairport). We were in my boat and casted and trolled for 4 hours with no luck. By the time we left we were the only fisherman around. Headed to the Chagrin and bagged 3 nice ones. One was over 28 inches. They are in just have to be patient. Chartruese spoons was the bait of choice yesterday.

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Steelhead should be turning on right now.
    Fish the west wall, by the lighthouse (park on the right side
    of the Fairport Beach parking lot).
    Best fishing is from sun up til @10:00.
    Most of the trout will scatter after that.
    Stick with spoons like Little Cleos.
    Good luck, and be sure to check your drag before you start.
    ;)

7. I've actually found them to turn on the best right around 10 am out in the lake. That was last year, though, when the lake fishing for steelies wasn't that good.

8. creekcrawler

Archman- they act differently when they stage at the harbors than they do out in the lake. They're a lot more skittish in the shallower water. :eek:
    I've rarely seen any action after 10:00.

By the way, it's good to see a lot of old familiar names on this site!
    :)

9. Hmm...I guess when I said Lake fishing, I meant the harbor areas, right at the mouths. Oh well, I get there at first light regardless :)

10. Hey creekcrawler
    maybe we can hookup sometime and you can show me the rope... Don't live far away from bedford at all...

11. creekcrawler

Hey trky hunter - I usually don't plan ahead much.
    If you ever see a green Jeep with kayak racks, that's me,
    stop and say hi.

I probably won't fish steelies for a while, my girlfriend's a perch junkie
    and there hitting good right now. :D

12. Fairport. I talked to several people at the bait shop on Tues of this week and they said they are starting to get them in the rivers. I fished the Fairport lighthouse breakwall on Tues evening and seen about 6-7 steelies jump out of the water but none of them jumped on anyone's hook either. Although I seen one young man lugging around an 8lber. I hit the same spot Thurs. AM and seen one young man land one on a spoon. I couldn't stay long. A perch fisherman told me they were "stacked up down at the Painesville Dam."

13. creekcrawler

Perch are hitting on Lake Erie, fer sure.
    We were getting them off Cleve. in 55ft but they appear to be
    moving shallower.

14. they are in the the tribs, but hitting slow. the crowds have already started. very slow. read my post from today. got a nice coho. have too much salmon in the freezer or else i would have kept it.

sm

15. do stinger spoons work for trolling the mouths? Has anyone tried trolling spinners? and what speed? I am docked in the lagoons so fairport is right there for me.

16. john, pm RONK. he trolls the rocky and knows what speeds. i would guess, pretty slow. the best spoons to use, in my opinion are blue and chrome little cleos. i use several different color vibrax spinners. talk to RONK.

mat