close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

steelhead spot- sunday

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Kastmaster93, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kastmaster93

Kastmaster93 Cleveland based fisherman

looking to go out tomorrow for steelies, and was wondering wheres the best spot to go now. NO HONEY HOLES! anywhere somewhat around cleveland. any help apprecciated. thanks a lot
    kast

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

pm sentb about a spot.

3. wiggle

wiggle Y'NOT

Go to the rocky river any of the fords close to the lake.

4. Kastmaster93

Kastmaster93 Cleveland based fisherman

what/where are the fords? leaving soon, please help LOL. thanks

5. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

a shallow crossing on the river...MORLEY is a ford

6. Click on Cleveland metroparks website. They have maps of rocky river. Catch a big one !

7. Years ago when the state stocked salmon, I had at least a 20 lb. chinook on for about 15 mins. off the first ford up from the lake. I hooked it on coho spawn from an 8 lb. female caught the week before. That fish bit the spawn like a perch pecking at it. I gave it some line, set the hook, and the fight was on. There were about 30 guys fishing the hole below the ford and when that fish jumped the first time, all those guys reeled up to give me the entire hole to fight the fish. Dude next to me grabbed my net and was so excited, he hit the "tired" fish at my feet in the nose with the net! Needless to say, the fish got new life, ran through the ford to the fast water below heading for the lake, and the hook pulled out just before it spooled me! That guy threw my net down and left the area fast as well, possibly due to the fire in my eyes when I turned around to look at him, esp. since I had warned him twice to put the net in the water and let me lead the fish into it! That was one great fishing hole! The irony was, those fish weren't cabable of eating(no stomachs), they just mouthed baits or attacked lures out of habit or instinct.
    (They all died after spawning).

8. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

No stomachs? Did not know they lost their stomachs before entering the rivers...

9. I don't know when they lost them-all I know is they had no stomachs if they had eggs. No trachea, no guts, just eggs. The mouths of the rivers were stinking of dead salmon which were floating down river after they spawned out. I think the males also died after spawning due to the numbers of them. The coho I caught the week before nailed a 3/8 oz. pink roostertail spinner. Not sure why you asked the question but if you're implying that I snagged them, you are wrong.(Lots of guys used the "silver spiders".) Don't remember if it was legal or not but I didn't, nor did anyone I fished with back then!

10. BigMha

BigMha QQn 4 that "ONE" big fish

i just thought they died after spawning...

11. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

wow, awful defensive. I just said I'd never heard anything about the stomachs- not sure where you are picking up any 'implications' about how you caught them.

12. Sorry, V! I am sensitive to/about any game law violations. I misinterpretted your comment-apologies...