Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookin for any tips to get into steelhead near Avon Point. I usually fish steel on the North shore near Wheatley but they are running about 2 weeks behind due to weather. Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Evidently nobody fishes out of Avon or is willing to share. Seriously? I would just love to hear a recent report or 2 from the Avon area.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Steelhead have been caught due north of Hotwaters in 45 to 55 FOW. Not a lot of fish but I'm sure there would be more if they were being targeted. The walleye reports have shared this information over the past couple weeks.
Go to deeper water and a little further east and you should be able to score on steelhead.

·
264 Posts
Hi,
We had 2 trips from Avon and 2 Steelhead.1 trip NE of Lorain 15 miles.Same distance from Avon with 2 Steelhead.No reports no one fishing the area.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Spoontag , I posted a report from Avon on monday it is on the previous page.
We went 12-13 miles northeast from the miller road ramp. 66 fow. Trolled 2.5 spoons one side harnesses the other. Did real good on the walleye but only got 1 steelhead. I think if a guy went further out. Kept his speed up a little higher and ran all spoons. Steelhead are there waiting. I very well may be out there Saturday again. There was not another boat in sight last week. Good Luck and please post how you do.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Beerbatter I'll be launching out of Miller Road ramp on Sun. Give me a shout if you go out Sat. and have any luck. I've never fished that area but have some friends and family that are going to the beach there so I'm fishing :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greg,

I was out on Monday N NW of the crib near the "dumping grounds", not quite as far west as Avon Point. It was a roller coaster ride. I should have known when there were NO trailers in the lot to cut my losses early. Trolled for 2 hours in the waves, in around 60 FOW. Tried downriggers and dipsies, couldn't get anything going. Too much bouncing around to have much fun, especially since I couldn't find any fish that were interested in biting. Caught some white bass and sheep but no walleye or steel.

I'm thinking about fishing tomorrow morning out of Cleveland, you interested? Give me a call. I've been checking the Wheatley reports and they look kind of slow right now but I'm itching to get back up there.

Keith

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keith,

I have to be at the airport tomorrow sending my son to Hawaii for a month. Saturday I am doing the family picnic. I was leaning toward Monday.

It has just been an OK year for me. I try to fish during the peak of the hatch, East winds, full moon etc. I have had some good days, just nothing huge yet.

I hope you are able to run over in August. I really appreciate the invite and hate to say no. We will do it soon. Catch my limit!

Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go off lorain 40/10 line or straight out of the rocky river between 63-68fow. weve landed all our steelhead this year on walleye rigs- when weve put together trout rigs, nothing. riggers and dipsy's copper or silver cups. 30-50 on the riggers. 100-130 back on dipsys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts