close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelhead Info??

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by river rat, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Hello Steelhead fisherman, afriend and myself are going to be trying Elk Creek and maybe Conneaut this weekend. I have never fished for steelhead before and my buddy caught his first about 2 weeks ago and now he`s hooked! I`ve read a few posts about elk creek and it sounds like the mouths can be quite crowded. I`ve dealt with this at the Maumee walleye fishing before and it can be quite cumbersome to say the least. I`m from southwestern OH. so I`m a complete novice when it comes to steelhead fishing. I have the upmost respect for the fish though because I caught one while I was walleye fishing at Lake Erie. It was the most incredible fighting fish I`ve ever landed. I`m taking a fly rod as well as my spinning equipment. Generally fish for Smallmouth, Saugeyes etc. down here but really looking forward to giving these steelies a go. Any info reguarding lures,tactics etc. would be greatly appreciated. I know my buddy caught his on a sucker spawn(i believe thats what he called it), he`s partial to the fly rod, but I`ll try either that or my trusty spinning rod. Just wondering if 8lb line is to light for these beauties. Like I said before ANY info would be valuable to me, and if any of you guys are ever down here in the southwestern part of the state let me know and I would gladly share any info as well. Thanks again river rat

2. Search/read through the Steelhead forum and you will find what you need. Good luck this weekend!

Also, beware of lake effect snow forecasted for the next couple of days.

Joel

3. if you dont mind fishing in a ZOOOOO than elk creek would be a good bet but would be alot less crowded on the weekend.

4. I prefer 6 to 8lbs line anything more than 8 is no good imo

5. Just google Elk creek steelhead and look at the crowds in 75% of the pictures you see! Its not going to be a nice time unless you like fishing in conditions that mimic the walleye run! PA stocks over a 1,000,000 smolts in its 50 minute wide piece of state. Sure your gonna catch fish, but you will need to put up with the attitude thats goes along with it. There is a web page that is called fisherie.com just look at the section that deals with NW PA and you will see for your self. Enjoy!

6. ,
    Hello river rat this is jotoona, Dont waste your time going to Elk Creek its an absolute mad house. Steelhead fishing is supposed to be relaxing just you and the river. The Chagrin, Rocky, Grand, Ashtabula, Conneaut, all have great fishing. The pound line you use should be as light as possible, they are tricky fish to catch, so light line keeps them from shying away. I use 6# on a med.light rod. As for bait, spawn sacks have been great as well as yarn sacks for the fly rod. Good luck, jotoona

7. ,
    Hello river rat this is jotoona, Dont waste your time going to Elk Creek its an absolute mad house. Steelhead fishing is supposed to be relaxing just you and the river. The Chagrin, Rocky, Grand, Ashtabula, Conneaut, all have great fishing. The pound line you use should be as light as possible, they are tricky fish to catch, so light line keeps them from shying away. I use 6# on a med.light rod. As for bait, spawn sacks have been great as well as yarn sacks for the fly rod. Good luck, jotoona