Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a steelhead last friday off of Cranberry while trolling for eyes with a dipsey/spoon. If I want to target steelhead, what trolling speed, depth, & color spoons should I try? We caught the steelhead on a copper monkey puke small stinger spoon. Is the silver backed, or a larger spoon better?

Thanks, John

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
usually large spoons ,orange crush was very hot last year . others are watermellon and on some days purple/black. they tend to run in the top 25 fow.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
Detriot Tiger is a killer steelie spoon, so is steelie stomper, and just like Freyed knot said, Orange Crush. Don't forget your snubbers!!!!

Steelies, like oranges, purples, green and blues, silver backed usually better but some days like like copper or gold too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Agree on the snubbers!!! Gotta have those or kiss you tackle goodbye! My luck has been on green/blue silver spoons (large ones) and for extra protection I take the treble hooks off and put on large singles. I've lost more steelies on trebles at the boat than I care to remember. And make sure your drag is set so you can pull line out with your hand under moderate pressure.

Steelheads are 'Beatle fish' i.e. they like to twist and shout!
;)

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
Fast 2.8-3.3. I would try around 2.6-2.9 right now but you have to adjust faster is usually better, not to say you can't hook them at 2.2 or 2.5 but find if your targeting them just run around 3.0 and you should do some catching.

let us know how it goes I'm chasing chrome on sunday I can't wait.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
generally a little faster than for walleye. 2.5-3.5 if a pretty good zone.

purples and blues with silver backs drew 3 hits last monday around 20-30' down in 50-55fow nw of the cleveland crib. one landed. they all came to the surface and danced.

try to keep your lines as spread out as possible. when fishing with someone, the second person clears the other line on the side of the boat where the steelie hit. they are great at fouling other lines quickly.

best of luck...and let us hear the stories!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts