Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a pack of hungry steelhead Off lorain over the weekend hooked 3 landed 0. First one snapped 12lb mono leader loosened the drag to just enough to keep it from peeling off at trolling speed. The next 2 threw the hooks. Was trolling stinger spoons off dipsey 30 pound power pro, 8” snubber, 8’ 12 pound mono leader. Wondering what everyone uses for these on dipsey setups to help get them in the boat. I make a few runs a year hoping to catch my first still. The amount of time it takes them to go from 50’ down to busting the surface is unreal! Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sounds like your doing things right. I use a 15# leader for a little extra safety. Make sure hooks are really sharp. You may have to loosen the drag a bit and slow down if the fish is really hot. Keep the rod at nearly a right angle to the fish. Do every thing right and you may get 2 out of 3.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As mentioned, I would improve your leaders to a minimum of 20lb. test and you may want to consider fluorocarbon vs. mono. Mono line is a lot more visible in that clear water and fluoro seems to be more forgiving with storage. Also, make sure you have top notch terminal tackle (swivels, etc.) Good luck !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome I appreciate all the replies! Never thought to slow down but that screaming drag got the best of me lol I will go heavier on the leader! I don’t generally fish that deep as I spend most of my time between Huron and the islands so I’m figuring it out. Without down riggers is there any other way aside from a dipsey to get a spoon 40-50’ down where I was marking these fish? Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Biggest item is a looser drag.
With their aerobatics biggest issue is when they jump you get sling shot effect and slack line which allows the hook to work loose.
Higher test leader mostly helps upon the strike/hook set.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Awesome I appreciate all the replies! Never thought to slow down but that screaming drag got the best of me lol I will go heavier on the leader! I don’t generally fish that deep as I spend most of my time between Huron and the islands so I’m figuring it out. Without down riggers is there any other way aside from a dipsey to get a spoon 40-50’ down where I was marking these fish? Thanks again!
Yes. 10 colors of lead core would get you there as well as 200 ft of copper. I wouldn’t recommend going out and buying that stuff for this, but if you plan to go to Lake Ontario after summer deep Chinook Salmon, those would be normal parts of your spread there. A typical small boat spread on Lake O is 2 downriggers, 1-2 dipsy rods per side, possibly on wire line, plus one board rod per side called ‘junk lines’ that have long lengths of copper line or leadcore. If you’re finding yourself addicted to these Erie steelhead, you gotta go to Lake O and hook up with a low 20’s Chinook. Not this year though because NY requiring 14 day quarantine.

If you want to set up an inexpensive leadcore rig, get a Cabelas Depthmaster 45 reel. Put 100 yards of 30 braid backing, then it will hold up to 12 colors of the 27lb leadcore line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. 10 colors of lead core would get you there as well as 200 ft of copper. I wouldn’t recommend going out and buying that stuff for this, but if you plan to go to Lake Ontario after summer deep Chinook Salmon, those would be normal parts of your spread there. A typical small boat spread on Lake O is 2 downriggers, 1-2 dipsy rods per side, possibly on wire line, plus one board rod per side called ‘junk lines’ that have long lengths of copper line or leadcore. If you’re finding yourself addicted to these Erie steelhead, you gotta go to Lake O and hook up with a low 20’s Chinook. Not this year though because NY requiring 14 day quarantine.

If you want to set up an inexpensive leadcore rig, get a Cabelas Depthmaster 45 reel. Put 100 yards of 30 braid backing, then it will hold up to 12 colors of the 45lb leadcore line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have experimented with lead core I didn’t realize it 10 colors would get spoons down to the 40’ range I primarily ran yozuris and bay rats off it with great success on eyes but with the crazy eye fishing this year I’ve turned to steelhead for a new challenge! Thanks for the help I have wanted to fish the O for a few years sounds like I need to make the drive one of these days!

·
716 Posts
If you r marking chrome at 50’, normally they should meet you close to halfway. I would start out targeting 30’. That being said, I have had marks on the bottom at 75’ that would not chase more than a couple of feet. This was about 20 yrs ago when I was still running 25 lb mono for a main line. I added 3-4 ozs of weight to my dips and jets as well as bouncing my riggers off of the bottom. Add weight & use 50 jets.

·
716 Posts
According to ******* outfitters chart, their 6 oz weight should get you close to 50’ unassisted at chrome trolling speeds. Higher speeds really affect Depths with lead. Also braid will go deeper than mono

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use fluorocarbon for everything. In Erie, 20# for everything... dipsey leaders, core leaders, etc. Ontario is 25-30#. 50# between the flasher/spinny and fly.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i dropped 2 or 3 on the standard small spoon hook and switched to a single, larger gap hook. That helped. I've used single hooks for eyes and the hook up ratio wasn't as good for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts