close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelhead Gender???

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Oct 30, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hello friends,

Ive heard a few tips and so on....but im still not sure if i can tell. So....

How do YOU determine the gender of a steelhead you just caught?

(without harming the fish)

Thanks!

2. The nose of the Hen is shorter and rounded in appearance. The Buck has a more elongated and pointed nose and also has a defined lower jaw with an upturned tip called a Kipe. As the male approaches peak spawning time the Kipe will be well developed and defined. Just type in Steelhead Pictures and go to the John Nagy site. You will see both a large Buck and a large Hen which shows what I have described.

3. ASK IT IF IT LIKES TO CUDDLE..IF THE ANSWER IS YES,ITS A HEN FOR SURE :p :D

4. hardwaterfan

lol argee!

thanks sd.... ill check them out!

5. MALE

[​IMG]

FEMALE

[​IMG]

Pretty easy to distinguish the difference even in fresh fish like these. The kipe gives it away, but as you can see, there's a different body shape to the fish as well. After fish have been in the river a bit, the males drasticly change color like the fish below.

[​IMG]

6. hardwaterfan

interesting....thanks for posting matt!

7. That is one FAT male!!!

8. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

awesome pictures and info, thanks all..... geez those are some nice fish! my personal best now looks like a guppy.... ARGH! lol

9. Nic pics - Hardwater - steelhead don't have a "gender" (a politically correct term) they can be of the male or female sex - unisex salmonids are very rare. Males have a kype this time of year - females heads are smaller proportionatly. If you are still unsure you can always lift up the tail ;) and look there.

10. nice fish matt... male's a hawg!

11. good deal THANKS for the pics man...