??? Steelhead Fishing help???

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by FishingGuy23, Dec 31, 2007.

1. I have a question on Steelhead Fishing. Why do I get snags every time I go River Fishing?? Could anyone help me with that question?? Good Luck and Happy New Year!!

FishingGuy23

2. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

now thats easy! theres rocks, logs etc on the bottom and your hook is too deep so it snags. adjust your bobber shorter yo.

3. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Yeah, why do you think they call it Rocky River? Seriously though, no matter what you do, to be close to the fish zone your going to loose a few hooks, thats just the way it is when fishing a river. Try to gage the depth your fishing and after each cast gradually raise your float 4-6” till your offering is occasionally ticking the bottom.

4. I don't fish the Rocky, I fish the Vermilion! But thanks for the Info!

FishingGuy23

5. Yea, it's just from stuff on the bottom of the rivers. The worst is branches because the hook sinks into them. Rocks a lot of times will let your hook go without too much playing with it. Just tug it back, if that doesn't work try every other direction.

I still have VERY (10-12 lb test) heavy line on my pole because I didn't buy my steelie stuff yet (just started this year and wanted to test it out first, now I'm addicted) so most of the time when I get snagged I'll either pop it out, bend the hook, or bring up the whole branch :p.

Some people tie a lighter pound test after their bobber (leader), to a micro swivel or straight to the line. This way if you get a snag you can snap that and just lose the hook and bait. Also, you will not mess up your line by stressing it with so much pressure.

6. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Don't feel bad. Anyone who fishes for Steelhead will get some snags each time he goes. If anyone tells you different he's a liar !

7. Yea I guess your right!! Well it's sort of discourging becuase I fished last season (my first year) for steelhead and I didn't catch anything. And now Im trying steelhead fishing again for my second year and I haven't caught a steelhead yet. I wanna catch a steelhead sometime in my life, but I don't know why I haven't caught one yet or what Im doing wrong. Well I guess I'll keep trying until I catch one! Well Good Luck too you!! And thanks for the help!!

FishingGuy23

8. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Fishingguy, Phil Hillman is putting on a Steelhead fishing seminar at the North Canton Gander Mountain on January 19th at 7 Pm . You should go to that if possible and he'll teach you how to rig different rods using different baits and he'll give you the true history of Salmon, Trout and Steelhead in the rivers he stocks.
    The seminar is very informative especially to a new steelheader. Phil is Fish Mangement Supervisor for district three in Northeast Ohio. So, he knows what is going on. He is also a member of the Central Basin Steelheaders .

9. Hey, Thanks and I know I already had it planned to go to that and I have a $25 Gander Mountain Gift Card to use there!! So I'll be there!!

FishingGuy23

10. That guy put on a seminar at Fin Feather & Fur and it was very beneficial to me! Had a lady who went over fly fishing also. That information lead me to my fisrt steelhead within 1/2 hour of being put to use.

11. yea im going to that seminar at gander mountain!!