Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when the steelies usually start to congregate near the river mouths. Since this summer has been unusually cool, they might start earlier than normal and I'm getting antsie....!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Anyone know when the steelies usually start to congregate near the river mouths. Since this summer has been unusually cool, they might start earlier than normal and I'm getting antsie....!!
late august if the weather stays cool, if not the 1st or second week of september

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Seeing that the steelies are 30 miles or more offshore I don't think you will see any fish in late august, MAYBE late september but I've tried that early the last few years and it was a bust every time, mid October you'll get a couple small ones, first of Nov is when you can start getting them, late november is when it's hammer time.

·
Spillway Angler
291 Posts
caught a 6lb one in febuary, but i hav more of a question then a comment, i caught mine all the way up by cascade vally park in cuyahoga falls, how do they get past the rt. 82 dam?

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
Early September waaayyy east(PA fish) but as K said nothing with any consistency around here until much later. There is a thread in the steelie forum about this also.

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Last year i started to catch them in the ash and grand in the first couple weeks of sept. Depends on weather and cold rains.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
caught a 6lb one in febuary, but i hav more of a question then a comment, i caught mine all the way up by cascade vally park in cuyahoga falls, how do they get past the rt. 82 dam?
I've always wondered how they get over that dam, but obviously, they do. Maybe people are catching them and throwing them over? What did you get yours on down there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been hitting a lot of smallies and a few white bass at Cascade Valley lately but that is good news to hear the steelies make it that far up. I've never fished for them before. I work in Brecksville so I might try to make it to the dam this fall during lunch hour and try closer to home in the evening.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We were out on a walleye charter yesterday and was 23 miles off shore. All six of us got our limit of steelhead. We also missed quite a few. So they will be out there a while. Usually depending on rain fall the third to last week of sept they start getting a few at the mouths.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've seen them as early as one week before labor day. Caught at night on a beach in Perry. I personally believe its a waste of time to try before Sept 11. In October I catch descent numbers of them at the fairport breakwall. Just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I personally believe its a waste of time to try before Sept 11.
Why September 11 and not say, September 12?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was steelhead fishing on the long wall on sept 11 when the towers were being destroyed. We did fairly well but not great. I use that day as a bookmark. What I would call opening day of steelhead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've seen them as early as one week before labor day. Caught at night on a beach in Perry. I personally believe its a waste of time to try before Sept 11. In October I catch descent numbers of them at the fairport breakwall. Just my opinion. Good luck.
I was just curious what you were using, thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I caught a few in the Rock as early as the first week of september last year while smallie fishing. Didn't get good numbers until late october, november.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Let's not forget that whoopin the Dawgs handed you on Sept. 11, 1989!
I believe you lost in your own stadium mind you 51-0. Biggest loss in Steeler franchise history. Steeler's days are numbered!

Im thinking about drafting donte stallworth number one in my fantasy football..... Browns suck.... same thing ever year, 2 qbs battling for the job and fans saying put the other guy in!!!!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Let's not forget that whoopin the Dawgs handed you on Sept. 11, 1989!
I believe you lost in your own stadium mind you 51-0. Biggest loss in Steeler franchise history. Steeler's days are numbered!
Speaking of "11", hasn't it been 11 in a row now? WHat a great rivalry!

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
If you enjoying fishing for them its never too early to try.. I enjoy throwing jigs in the late summer at the rocky.. Catch several smallies thats fun.. A steelhead is always a bonus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts