Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I’m going out Saturday late morning out of Lorain - will target Walleye for our limits, then head out and try for Steelhead- sounds like I need to head towards Avon Point, and run deep for them - I’ll be on 68 late morning - pm me if want to share info.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The iwindsurf forecast values are going to have to change drastically for me to consider the offshore run for Saturday. Looks like tomorrow will be the day to make the run. As of now, I'm out. Good luck to those who make it out this weekend.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
We ran out to 40 north line from Avon. Very few marks fished from 8:30am to noon with 4 dipseys and rigger with spoons. One Bandit at 15 ft down. Combed the water top to bottom. Only 3 small eyes 15”-16”. No steel trolled to 42.4 north. Another boat on radio was at 44 line with no better. Ran back in to 45 fow east of Avon power plant. Found lots of marks. Finished 2 man limit between 12:30 and 2:30” with mostly 16” fish. Got 2 at 20”. Three back dozen or more 14-15”, few 8”.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We were at the 38 like in lorain today between lorain and sheffield. It was pretty empty out there. A few walleye alot of algae and no steelhead. I was kind of surprised at the lack of Mark's out there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok so we were out all over between 40 to 44 north and 11 to 02 west. Mark’s were awesome in the whole area but bait was scattered at best. Boated one lost a 10 pounder at the boat and 2 came off pretty quick after the hookup. Got 13 eyes with the one steelhead. At it again tomorrow. Thinking the bright moon this week has them feeding different now. Thoughts?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I was wondering about the moon phase. Looked up solunar chart. Today rated as average day with best daytime bite 12am-2:00 pm. Not sure these apply to walleye. I could not see a thermocline , and no decent marks. We were in same area 00 - 02 west, 39-42.4 north. Fished NNE troll, then turned back south to the 38 line before pulling up and running in closer. Ran speed 2.8-3.2 sog.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,535 Posts
Out of Geneva last night in 70-71fow, had a nice steelie break a leader on a dipsey set at #3 at 130 back. Spoon was brownish/orange with back stripes on one side. Fish jumped twice with spoon in its mouth to say hi!

·
124 Posts
Went out to the 11 line again yesterday morning. It was rolling pretty good. Fished from 9am till noon. Lost one steelhead at the back of the boat on double orange crush about an hour in on a dipsey 1 setting 65 back. Had another snap the line and jump behind the boat on a dipsey 1 setting 70 back. Then 1 more on a rigger at 35 down didn’t stay on. 0 for 3. Last week they seemed to want green dolphin, this week all hits came on orange or red. Caught 3 decent walleye. Went in to 40 to 45’ of water north of Beaver and ended up with 14 eyes. Just eaters. Not a great day on the target but a good day fishing. They are still out there! Hopefully we will get em next time!

·
Registered
197 Posts
No luck with Steelies Friday afternoon. Started at 40-10. Great marks. Bait and fish. Fished a half-hour without a bite. Moved out to the 42-43 area where we caught fish a week earlier. Fished 3 hours. 7 walleye and 1 giant perch. One walleye about 6 lbs. No steelhead bites. Went back in to the 40-line around 6 p.m. to see if the fish turned on. Fished 45 minutes without a bite.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah hopefully august is a better weather pattern. Seems like they are more finicky than other Great Lakes. Atleast on the west side. Maybe Cleveland to conny are different.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Will be out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning chasing. Last weekend hooked up 5 41 04/05 but also hooked up 5 Sunday just North of the dump in 52fow fishing walleye. Seems they are roaming everywhere there is bait and not all out deep for sure. Willing to work with anyone to run them down if we can! Lol
Here is one from Sunday in shallow
Also, both days they seemed to prefer small spoons, most came on smalls off my board lines. 0 on the riggers and I think 2 on dipsies with big spoons.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Will be out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning chasing. Last weekend hooked up 5 41 04/05 but also hooked up 5 Sunday just North of the dump in 52fow fishing walleye. Seems they are roaming everywhere there is bait and not all out deep for sure. Willing to work with anyone to run them down if we can! Lol
Here is one from Sunday in shallow
Also, both days they seemed to prefer small spoons, most came on smalls off my board lines. 0 on the riggers and I think 2 on dipsies with big spoons.

Smalls off your board lines. Are you running jets off boards? And how shallow are you setting spoons? Thanx!

·
Registered
186 Posts
One way to land more steelies in the boat when your spoon fishing is to put a stinger hook on your spoons it can either be a treble or it can be a single hook but it will increase the amount of fish you bring into the boat and it does not affect the action of the spoon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Smalls off your board lines. Are you running jets off boards? And how shallow are you setting spoons? Thanx!
I am running 40 Tru Trips off my big boards. 52 fow they were 75 back out deep in 60 plus they were 140 back. I am working just above the temperature break depending on the depth for both walleye and chrome.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts