Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
That’s a 7 ‘ depth change. I’d think at minimum they’d be 65’ right now
My neighbor and I did our first steelhead trip today. Got 3 steelhead and 8 walleye. Fished from 9 to 1:30 north of Lorain/Sheffield Lake. All the fish were caught like right on the boundary of the 42 and 43 lines, from 10-12 east/west. I was thrilled with the catch considering we marked almost no fish or bait. I think I saw one small bait-ball about 30 ft. down and another bigger one on the bottom. No pattern at all to the fish caught. One on a turkey wing 90 ft. out with a small dipsy and planer board at 2.5 mph. One on a blue dolphin off a regular dipsy, 120 ft. on 3 setting, doing a turn at 2.7 mph. One on a green-glow Peetz spoon at 3 mph. Bigger walleyes than we were catching in close. 4 were in the 4 to 6 pound class. Saw several boats east of us, towards Avon Lake. Anyone do better?

·
124 Posts
Went up to the 11 line on the boarder in 62’ of water. Went 4 for 11 on the steelhead and got our 30 walleye. No big walleye. We just couldn’t seem to get the steelhead to the boat. Thermocline is at 40’ the fish were were right in it. Riggers at 40 to 45’ dipseys at 110 to 120 and 40 jets at 110.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My neighbor and I did our first steelhead trip today. Got 3 steelhead and 8 walleye. Fished from 9 to 1:30 north of Lorain/Sheffield Lake. All the fish were caught like right on the boundary of the 42 and 43 lines, from 10-12 east/west. I was thrilled with the catch considering we marked almost no fish or bait. I think I saw one small bait-ball about 30 ft. down and another bigger one on the bottom. No pattern at all to the fish caught. One on a turkey wing 90 ft. out with a small dipsy and planer board at 2.5 mph. One on a blue dolphin off a regular dipsy, 120 ft. on 3 setting, doing a turn at 2.7 mph. One on a green-glow Peetz spoon at 3 mph. Bigger walleyes than we were catching in close. 4 were in the 4 to 6 pound class. Saw several boats east of us, towards Avon Lake. Anyone do better?
We caught 7 lost 3 fishing about the same area fishing dipsies 85 to 100 really was a nice calm day to get out that far

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Went up to the 11 line on the boarder in 62’ of water. Went 4 for 11 on the steelhead and got our 30 walleye. No big walleye. We just couldn’t seem to get the steelhead to the boat. Thermocline is at 40’ the fish were were right in it. Riggers at 40 to 45’ dipseys at 110 to 120 and 40 jets at 110.
are you using treble hooks ?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I had guys with me that had never fished for the chrome before. They couldn’t get the fact that you have to get the slack out before they spit it. It’s not like walleye fishing 😂
i prefer inline single hooks even for eyes,2/0,3/0,4/0,5/0.
i change even on stick bait if it has 3 hooks i put only 2 single inline hooks.
they work beter for me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I plan to launch from Avon Miller Road park Friday 7:00 am. Heading out for walleyes bigger than 18” if we can find them, then Steelhead. Last time out too windy for me to go far. Found plenty marks and eyes 40’ depth but all 14”-17”. I use channel 79 in this area. Was thinking 68 is used Cleveland and east to Conneaut.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'll be out Saturday as well going deep for steelhead. If people wanted to text me there numbers I could start a group text to keep everyone in the loop. Mine is 440 522 5940

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I had guys with me that had never fished for the chrome before. They couldn’t get the fact that you have to get the slack out before they spit it. It’s not like “walleye fishing”! 😂
“Newbies“ was my first thought! Just got to keep telling them, “Keep Those Rod Tips UP, Do Not >Pump< the Rod”! When you pump it’s near impossible Not to leave slight ”slack” on the “down stroke”. That technique “enlarges“ the hole from the hook(the ‘barb’ is only a tiny fraction of an inch), and that’s all steelies need to come unbuttoned!(Wallies Too!)😩

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,159 Posts
“Newbies“ was my first thought! Just got to keep telling them, “Keep Those Rod Tips UP, Do Not >Pump< the Rod”! When you pump it’s near impossible Not to leave slight ”slack” on the “down stroke”. That technique “enlarges“ the hole from the hook(the ‘barb’ is only a tiny fraction of an inch), and that’s all steelies need to come unbuttoned!(Wallies Too!)😩
That's right Newbies, pump your rod at home not on the lake;)

Rickerd

21 - 40 of 84 Posts