Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been seeing a few reports of steelhead caught while trolling for walleye. Any reports on targeting steelhead? Location, depth?, tactics?
I’m taking daughter and boyfriend out Friday July 1 or Saturday depending on weather. Planning on Miller Road launch for walleye then look for steelhead. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok so someone has to ask the question. Did you end up going out today FarmerChris? And if so how’s you do? I can’t get a crew together til Monday with everyone doing July 4th get together’s. Can’t wait to hear some drag pulling.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Short answer - went out Friday but did not target or catch steelhead.
I took daughter and friend out of Avon Miller road park. Stayed in close due to wind and waves. went east 25-35 fow Cast Erie dearies. Caught 6 16-17” eyes. Got pretty choppy by 10am. At 11:30 we drove north to 40 fow checking for fish and waves. Found nice marks. Set up 4 dipseys and a downrigger with spoons. Catching continuously lures 20-35 ft down. Ran out of fish around 50 fow so turned back toward launch. Finished 3:00 with 16 keepers. Released couple dozen 14-15” fish. No steelhead. As we came in shallower, the rigger weight snagged in 39 fow. I had raised it to 32’ as we came in. Not sure if a net or bottom structure. Cable snapped at connection. Lost 13# Yeck fat fish, Chaimberlain release, irreplaceable Kranx spoon $100.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I heard two people mention catching steelhead on the radio today 7/4. I ventured out to about 60 feet northeast of Hotwaters hoping to get one. There’s a thermocline at 50 down out in deeper water. I ran some bright spoons 40-50 down at 2.8 and ended up with a couple 21 inch walleye to complement the 16 inchers I was catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I may venture out end of the week or week after and look for steelhead and bigger eyes. Nice catching fish, but I would like some 20+” I usually like keep18” and up, but not finding that size. I worked on the rigger today. Pulled off 270’ of cable just to see how much was still there. Must be at least 300 ft. Rewound it tight by hand. Put new terminal end, clip, insulator link, Chamberlains release. Ready to go!

·
Registered
880 Posts
We hooked 1 today around the 31 line on the east side of lorain dump he came up to jump and got off. I've seen reports of the 40 line north of lorain having some

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
We were in 68'- 70' for a marina tourny on sat and only 1 was caught. Had another hookup but no dice on the crome. Excellent marks in 58 ft N of 72nd... (had to troll w the waves) ended w 22 keepers, 0 steelhead

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Back in the day when walleye were scarce in the Central basin(from say mid July thru August), we used to go to 68-70 ft out of WW on a slight NW heading(approx 8-10 degrees off due north) to account for the curvature of the lake eastward to get to those depths a bit faster. We regularly got into the biggest walleye of the year(that didn’t swim “miles“ to the East to stay on cooler water loving baitfish schools!) Trolling a spoon w/orange or gold on at least one rod, we would get a steelie at an approx. rate of one per hour. All of our fish came from very long leads of 185-230+ ft at a 1 or 2 setting on big dipsies w/ rings on them(fishing the lower depth levels).
Food Wood Seafood Cuisine Fish

Needless to say, some of these trips out and in took lots of fuel and “time”(depending on conditions!), but were typically well worth it. Alternately, these depths can be reached “much easier” by trailering to launch points in the Eastern basin where deeper water is closer to shore. The pic is of walleye and steel limits taken by my son on a solo trip(Not Recommended!) In July 2000.(The FO whitebass was for the cat, and he is patiently waiting!)🙀

1 - 20 of 87 Posts