Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
.We Launched from Avon and went 6 for 6 on Steelies.Started at N 41 38 311 w081 56 708 and trolled N.E.Caught 3 in 64 to 68 fow.Trolled out to w46000 n081 51 000 72 fow and got none.Moved back inside in the Afternoon and took 3 more.Should have stayed there.Lot of baitfish inside none in the deeper water.Went back over Areas that we caught fish but never caught 2 in the same spot.All fish caught on#1 Dipsys and Slide Divers.They were set on 3 1/2 out 50 so we were at about 20 ft dn.The fish were caught from 9 to 10 miles out.The fish were full of Mayflys and a couple had Smelt in them.

·
Take a Dad fishing
364 Posts
Another stupid question from me.....can you drift for steelhead? Of course I've drifted for walleye and never hooked a steelie but why not? If there only at 20 feet why shouldn't I be able to hook one? Just wondering....

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's not a stupid question, I've wondered the same thing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You probably can, if you could locate them. Trolling is the best way to work multiple depths at the same time over a wide range of water. Locating these fish 10+ miles from shore doesn't seem too easy to me. Wait until September when they come closer to shore to use other methods.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
If you wait till Sept they will be over in Canada.In a week or 2 they will be on the west side of the sandbar (Lorain) about 7 miles out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Canada? I must be able to cast a long way! Was catching steelies from the Cleveland area lakeshore last September, in decent numbers. Guys in boats weren't very off shore either. In my opinion, they have a better chance of surviving after release when catching them in 10' or less near the shorelines than yanking them out of 30'+ of water -- so I concentrate on catching them in the shallower waters in the fall.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi.
Should have been out there Sat.Waited until Sun.Started at the 38 (081 57) line.Got one putting 1st line out at 9:30am(long drive from Toledo),\. Stayed in area for a while and no more hits.trolled N.E to the44 53 line and had a few hits landed 1 more.Trolled over to the 42 58 line and had our most action.fished till 8:30pm.Had 2 furries late afternoon.Finished up 5 for 12.I was 1 for 6 which didn't help the ohter 2 guys out. they were 4 for 6.3 fish caught off boards with 30 jets out 100 with spoons.2 fish off #1 Dipsys set at 3 1/2 out 50 with Proking Spoons.7 of the 12 hits came on the dipsys.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dingo,
You are right about it being hard to find Steelhead 10 miles offshore.Being retired and fat I could just stay home and watch TV.How ever the killer instinct in me makes me chase those little buggers.Tried fishing in the Rocky River for them but its hard on my bad back.I do fish in front of the Rivers in the Fall.Love to catch them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts