close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelhead anyone

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bigggcountry, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Bigggcountry

Bigggcountry All American

I wanted to try and catcha few of these silver critters. I am very new to fishing for em and wanted to know if anyone wouldnt mind me taggin along..... either this afternoon(I know its last minute) or tomorrow.....

Dan
    PM me for my number

2. Dingo

Dingo

Today might be tough. Cold temps and snow are causing slush and ice in many streams. Enough slush to the point where you can't get a bait thru it. Tomorrow afternoon into Wednesday might be a better option, since the temps are forecast to go above freezing. Don't be in a hurry to be the "first in the hole" this time of year -- since the best activity is in the afternoon, once the slush thaws and the sun warms the water a bit.

3. what is the best thing to use this time of the year ??????????

4. Dingo

Dingo

Anything that can be presented rather slowly. Baits include minnows or fresh spawn. Jig/maggot combo works as well, but I find the other two to work better. I have caught them on crankbaits/streamers (flies) on days where the temperatures are a few degrees than the day before, but it isn't a first choice.

Concentrate on slower water during cold periods, since they can use less energy when the metabolism is lower. Warmer periods will find fish moving to shallower areas to warm up and/or feed.

5. Bigggcountry

Dingo,
    Can you make it out Tuesday afternoon? I have never fished the Rocky and since it is closer to my house than where i was planning on going. If you can't make it can you give me direction how to get to a good area fromm Canton?

Dan

6. Dingo

Dingo

Maybe. I was down there this afternoon and didn't find a lot of fishable water. Much of the stream was ice covered, with slush in the areas that were not covered in a thin layer of ice. I only had time to check the upstream areas, so I don't know if things improve as you head downstream. A few areas were quite fishable, but better tried when the temps are 30 degrees more. I'll check again Tuesday afternoon.

A good place to start on the rocky is near the airport -- 77 north or 21 north to 77 from Canton to I-480. Take 480 west, past the airport to the grayton exit. Make a left onto grayton (north) until it ends (about a mile). Make a left down the hill into the valley. Make a right at the stoplight and look for fishable areas (open water). Most spots near the road should be accessible tomorrow afternoon, as long as they are not iced in or full of slush. Minnows are a good bet when the water gets cold.

7. Bigggcountry

I know its Christmas Eve this Friday, but I am off and wanted to get out. I hate fishing alone, especially on waters I am not familar with. So if anyone wanted to hook up sometime on Friday let me know