close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steelers think Big Ben has a Big head

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by flathunter, Jul 1, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

From ProFootballTalk.com:
    We've commented on several occasions over the past few weeks on a belief in some circles that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has grown a freakishly large head in connection with his 15-1 record as rookie starter, which included 15 straight wins before a loss to the Pats in the AFC title game.

We're now hearing that some within the organization believe that Roethlisberger is in for a rude awakening during his sophomore season. After all, every team the Steelers play in 2005 will have had seven months to break down film and figure out ways to frustrate and confuse Big Ben.

Although such an outcome would mean that the Steelers won't duplicate their stellar regular-season run of 2004, the feeling is that some losses will be acceptable if it means getting Roethlisberger's oversized ego under control.

The plan, as we've previously reported, is to knock Ben down a peg or two early in camp. Coach Bill Cowher, we're told, intends to apply a little tough love to Roethlisberger's motorcycle-ridin' rear end.

But a step back in 2005 seems inevitable, even if Ben learns to talk and act like Tom Brady by mid-August. Steelers teams in the Cowher era tend to overperform when expectations are low -- and to underachieve when expectations are high.

In 2005, opposing defenses undoubtedly will load up against the run and force Roethlisberger to beat them with his arm . . . but without his favorite target from 2004, receiver Plaxico Burress.

And taking an objective look at the schedule for 2005, we don't think 8-8 is out of the question for the boys in black and gold

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yup. Sounds about right to me! Very well thought out and hit the nail right on the head!

3. First, profootballtalk.com is a total JOKE! It is as accurate as a tabloid newspaper.

Do you think that ANYONE in the STEELERS organization would EVER indicate that loosing a few games would be OK? Do you think that any NFL team would think that it is OK to lose a few games? That is TOTALLY preposterous!

I would LOVE for teams to load up against the run against the Steelers….Ben and Hines will shred them!

I guess who ever wrote this article has not seen the 10,000 interviews that Ben has done since his playoff loss. In every one that I have seen, Ben is NOT patting himself on the back for winning more games than anyone (ever) in his rookie season, he is faulting himself for loosing in the playoffs. It has been reported by credible news sources that his “big head” is in the film room studying defenses.

Yea, Ben has a chip on his shoulder, and he is cocky for a second year QB. He was cocky before he even played in the NFL. He was the THIRD QB picked last year, but had the BEST season of any rookie QB in the history of the NFL. That is the guy that you want leading your team!

I’m not worried about Ben. There are enough veterans on both sides of the ball to keep him in check, and while Cowher may have his faults, player ego management is his strong suite.

IF the Steelers have a problem, it is fining enough money to sign Hines Ward before his contract expires next year.

4. I agree with rooster there isn't a team out there that thinks losing is ok. Not even the Bengals. If I had the season Big Ben had I would have the big head too. I do believe this season will be harder for him. By the way did I mention
    GO COLTS!!!!GO COLTS!!!!GO COLTS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. SenkoMaster

SenkoMaster Excellence In Bassin'

Profootballtalk is a joke, but i could totaly see big ben developing a big head. even after the kellen winslow motorcycle accident ben said he still will not wear a helmet on his bike. just plain stupid when you do what he does.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

wait till charlie get on the field!

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

johnyboy, I hope you are right about Charlie!

8. 1) Ben is not using good judgement, getting on a motorcycle sans helmet with the future he has. That's an awful risk he's taking. I used to investigate vehicle accidents for the State of Ohio, and if you go down, you will almost always hit your head...best to protect it. I've seen far too many DOAs that could have lived if they had invested in & worn good helmets.
    2) I was elated when the Browns got Charlie....the kid is definitely a keeper, but I think we have to wait patiently for a year or 2...maybe more, but I just have this feeling that he'll be worth the wait.

BTW, I have seen nothing indicating Ben is getting a big head, but after time in the league, other teams WILL exploit whatever weaknesses he has...then it's up to him to strengthen those areas. He's shown what he can do...he'll be fine. However, those of us faithful to our Browns hope Charlie does better!
    Mike

9. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05187/533448.stm

"To get away from it all, Roethlisberger recently took his father, Ken, and two uncles on a five-day fly-fishing trip to Wyoming."

He fishes....Now he just needs to win one for the thumb!

10. Now I know Big Ben is okay. He fishes and plays for the Steelers, what more could you ask for except one more ring (or two!)

11. Oh yeah forgot to mention that he also has GOOD taste in women! That is one fine looking woman he is keeping company with ;) . The benefits of being a big star, got to be tough! :D :D

12. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

How about a Big Ben Day on the Portage Lakes sposored by OGF! We could take him out fishing, have a BBQ with him, and talk abotu the season. Just a thought!

I thought that in PA, you had to wear a helmet at all times while on a motorcycle. That was the way it was when I lived there for 23 years. Has it changed recently?

13. I can fully understand why he would have a big head,after the two record setting performances he had in the playoffs against the Jets and Pats.Damn,with him and Whinz back,New England will be shaking in their sneakers! One for the thumb,wasn't that like a catchy little phrase from like thirty years ago-get a freakin' life!

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I wont go as far as to say he will be a bust, but I dont think he will compile another 15-1 record next year, possibly ever. Hes better than Redman for the Ravens, & who ever the Browns put out there, but next year he will be known as the 2nd best QB of the division. The 1st being CARSON PALMER.

15. How did so many Steelers fans end up in Ohio? Couldn't wait to get out of Pa? That's what my parents did some 40 years ago. And my grandparents.. And my wife's parents.......And on... And on.... And on.... Riddle me this.... Why do people claim that OGF (A fishing website no less) is Steelers Country? I agree with the last gentleman, all you "yinzers" get a freaking life.....Spoken like a true Browns fan. hee hee hee hee........Actually former Browns fan.... (TIME FOR MY RANT) I stopped caring about pro sports when the players stopped playing for their cities. Maybe that's why the Steelers have good ball teams.... They still play for their city....I would rather fish all day on a peaceful lake or go on a nice hike than sit and get drunk and scream at the TV like I used to. Also, it is a sad thing that a Brown's fan cannot go to Pittsburgh or a Steeler's fan can't come to Cleveland and not get verbally or physically abused by people that claim they are fans. Its just a game......Played by millionaire primadonnas that I'm sure don't take losses as bad as the cities of Cleveland and Pittsburgh do. Whew..................

16. I'll agree that Big Ben won't go 15-1 again this year for a couple of reasons. First, teams will have longer to study him and then try to mess up his gameplan. The opponents homework will be a little more complete. Second, his first year was so incredible that by nature it will be hard to beat or even tie. Third, teams will have reloaded this off-season and some may have gotten better, especially in their division.
    However, I believe that his sophmore season will lead to the playoffs and hopefully more for a few reasons. First, he will still have basically the same offensive unit, except for Burris and a few lineman. Randle-El will replace Burris and be just fine. Second, the defense will STILL be there, which will take some pressure off Ben to win the game by himself. Third, he will have a year of experience under his belt and learned from his mistakes in the playoffs last year. Fourth, his teammates believe in him and they will play as a team. Fourth, the running game will still be there and Staley will be healthy. Fifth, and most important, they're the Steelers and who in the division will be better than them. Maybe the Bengals, but everyone in the AFC North will be looking up at the Steelers!