close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steeler reciever turns down deal

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by flathunter, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I don’t know which way to go on this one.

I absolutely LOVE Ward! His play exemplifies what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Giving the BIG hit, making the catch, sacrificing your body to get the extra yard. He has been to the Pro Bowl the past four years. A WR that makes the PB playing on a team that runs more than any other team in the league is special! If he played in an offense like the Colts or STL, I can’t even imagine what his numbers would look like. The Steelers have lost too much talent over the years by being cheap. Who can blame him for wanting more money? If I could command a 10M signing bonus, I would set out of work too! LOL

However, it is a business. The Steelers have been very good at NOT overpaying their players. It is critical to have enough money for a solid TEAM, and they cannot let one STAR consume too much of the salary cap. Next year, they will have to re-sign Hampton, and he is going to command some BIG $. In the big picture, a WR is not all that important to the Steelers. They run the ball and play defense.

I’m not real happy that Ward has indicated that he will NOT play without a new contract this year. He still has one year left on his contract, and needs to play-out this year at the very least.

I just hope that both sides can compromise, and sign Ward at a cap friendly price (but enough to keep him happy). If not, the Steelers need to think about trading him before the season starts…the need to get something out of their investment.

2. Tee

Tee Team OGF

There's no crying in Football...... :D

[​IMG]

:D

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

hahahaha way to go tee!

4. Yea, Ward takes a LOT of heat from FANS about crying. However, you never hear other NFL PLAYERS make any negative comments. The point is, I want a guy on my team that is so upset that he cries about NOT making it to the Super Bowl. Passion for the game, and a drive to win. Good thing that the Bengals and Browns don’t have players that have that type of passion to win……they would all have to be hospitalized after the lack of success during the last couple of years………….make that decades! LOL I can’t wait until football season!

5. First of all... Some of the same people that are defending Ward for crying were the same ones that criticized Couch for crying so let's not be hipocrites here. Second... How is it that some unproven drafted rookies get 40 + million contracts with 20 + million guaranteed and proven veterans (Ward is the best all around receiver in the NFL because he will block guys down field when he isn't involved in the play - He plays EVERY down.) somehow aren't worth the money? I'm sure Braylon Edwards will get a better contract than Hines Ward and he hasn't even caught a pass yet. How does this make sense??? Don't EVEN get me started on Winslow Jr.. There definately should be a rookie maximum in football just like in the NBA.

6. Hines Ward set himself up for this. Yes, I'm a Browns fan living in Cincinnati. but I grew up near Pittsburgh and those people are no different than the ones in Cleveland or Cincy.

Look around your own workplace. There are bound to be all around hard workers making less money than someone who doesn't have a clue what he/she is doing. It is a given fact that the "boss" would rather burden his best employee than give it to someone he/she knows can't do it. Ward is a great player, but by doing everything at a reduced cost (on a team notorious for salary cap decisions no less), he set himself up for failure. It was bound to come to this. And we all know who will win this battle.

The Steelers will not give in. He'll play at their price, the Rooney price, or he'll sit out. Cowher won't have all this bounding around training camp. Trading him isn't really an option. Other teams are not really interested in someone who is threatening to hold out for more money. They would much rather know what it's going to cost them. And there is no telling how good he would be or would have been in any other system. He is getting older now, and sometimes what the heart wants, the body can't deliver. I mean, isn't this like he's 8th year. Most players only last 4 to 5 years. He's on the down side of his career and the Steelers are paying that to mind.

This is exactly what the Bengals need. The Steelers to fight amongst themselves. If this continues much longer, mark it down. Bengals win the division. They are a very much improved team from a depth standpoint, and Lewis is a great coach. The Steelers are the better team on paper, but there isn't anyway they will have a season close to what they had last year. 12-4 maybe 13-3. The bengals will win 10 I think easily. Something like this could close the gap by a game or two.

Just my opinion....

Eric

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm a Bengals fan, so I love this. I hope Ward sits out the entire year, I will back him 100%. I also am in favor of sending that Felon Jamal lews back to jail for severla months.

GO BENGALS

8. Fishing-Miller23

Fishing-Miller23 It's Miller Time!

Yeah if Jamal Lewis wasn't an athlete he would be in jail for 5- 10 years minimum. I also back Ward, if the Steelers don't have him, they might win 7-10 games. Maybe. They wouldn't win as much becase Roethlisberger is overrated. He had the same stats as McCown last year, just more yards.