Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Team NuCanoe
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am two months into fly fishing I am ready for the steel head run in Cleveland.

What are your thoughts on rod strength from a two piece to a 5 piece? I have heard different arguments from it coming apart eventually to if you seat it properly there should be no issue.

I have a 5 piece but leaning towards a two piece....

What do you guys think?

P.S. Anybody want to go this fall? I will drive!

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
I use a 9' 2 piece 5/6 weight rod...but I load it with a 7 weight to help turn over my steelhead fly's which are bulky...a 2 piece or 4 piece doesn't mater...what matters is that you have plenty of backing on the fly reel with an adjustable drag....They don't call em Chrome Bullets for nothing !.....I only use 1 fly for targeting Steelhead...the Zonker Bonker tied on a #6 steelhead hook and I use Rabbit Zonker 1/4 strips in White, Yellow, Orange and Hot Pink....the body is crystal chenille with dumbell eyes in white with black pupils....You can catch me from Morley Ford and Downstream in back of Tyler Field during the steelhead season......

Tite Lines !!

Mike

:B:B

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
I use a 4 pc 8wt for steelhead. Like fishinnick said just make sure they stay together. An 8wt isn't overkill, and if you ever decide to fish for salmon you'll already have the rod for them.

·
Nothing but Fly Gear
591 Posts
A little tip to help keeping the rod together.....If you are using desent quality rod the ferrels should fit well....but this helps and it protects the rod from wear.....Get a piece of wax....and carry it in your vest..before you put the rod together rub the wax lighly on the male end and kinda work it around with your fingers...the heat from your fingers will spread it around well......I use bow string wax that Ive had for yr's.....this not only helps the rod stay together but it also prevents the sections from getting stuck...which is another pain in the hinder......also the wax protects the rod finish from wearing at the ferrels and lossening over time......I have had a rod come apart on a cast, not only is it embarassing but it also cracks the female ferrel of the rod.....and I have had a rod stuck together which I had to wait till I got home and grab it with those rubber bottle opening thingy's.....none of these have ever happened again after using wax on the ferrels....Bow string wax is what i use ....but craft stores sell wax for crafts....a pice the size of a quarter and about a 1/4'' thick will last the rest of your life......

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I still haven't caught a steelhead on any kind of rod and have wanted to for a few years. My father in law lives in vermilion, where I've tried a few times in the fall, but I think it's more of a spring thing there. I certainly wouldn't mind trying one of the rivers further east this fall.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You can use any rod wt that you like but it all comes down to how you fight them. Making sure you rod it snug and not loose but after making many casts do recheck because all the chucking and ducking will loosen up the rod connections and that is where the troubles lay ahead of you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I used a 4 piece 8wt. last season during a week long steelhead trip and didn't have any issues with it, like fishinnick said, just make sure to check every once in a while. The 4 piece is more travel friendly than my two piece. The butt was definitely a plus on my 8 wt when I hooked into big fish. I had a bruise from it on my stomach for about a week afterwards.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Now that I am two months into fly fishing I am ready for the steel head run in Cleveland.

What are your thoughts on rod strength from a two piece to a 5 piece? I have heard different arguments from it coming apart eventually to if you seat it properly there should be no issue.

I have a 5 piece but leaning towards a two piece....

What do you guys think?

P.S. Anybody want to go this fall? I will drive!
I would say the 8wt is fine. I have an 8wt 4 pc but I don't even use it. After I found out about a center pin that's all I do for chrome. That and I use bait or jigs.

I live in Elmore. If you ever want me to show you around let me know. I'm right on your way. Use what you want, we don't frown on fly guys. I usually just chuckle a bit because the fish catching usually isn't happening.

Like I mentioned I don't use the fly rod because I believe that it's not near as productive. Using a fly rod with an indicator makes no sense to me at all for chrome unless you just like to have short drifts and like a fly rod. Using a streamer is about the only thing that makes sense for a fly rod and steelhead.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I would say the 8wt is fine. I have an 8wt 4 pc but I don't even use it. After I found out about a center pin that's all I do for chrome. That and I use bait or jigs.

I live in Elmore. If you ever want me to show you around let me know. I'm right on your way. Use what you want, we don't frown on fly guys. I usually just chuckle a bit because the fish catching usually isn't happening.

Like I mentioned I don't use the fly rod because I believe that it's not near as productive. Using a fly rod with an indicator makes no sense to me at all for chrome unless you just like to have short drifts and like a fly rod. Using a streamer is about the only thing that makes sense for a fly rod and steelhead.

Using a gun is a lot more productive than using a bow to hunt with, too, but for some people using the bow is more exciting, more enjoyable, and more challenging. To each his/her own. If all you care about is numbers and whacking fish, keep chucking bait. For some people, that's not all there is. Do what makes you happy. If that happiness for you is finding the perfect way to drift an egg sack, knock yourself out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Using a gun is a lot more productive than using a bow to hunt with, too, but for some people using the bow is more exciting, more enjoyable, and more challenging. To each his/her own. If all you care about is numbers and whacking fish, keep chucking bait. For some people, that's not all there is. Do what makes you happy. If that happiness for you is finding the perfect way to drift an egg sack, knock yourself out.
Happiness for me is catching fish, not fishing so much. You know how some people say; "well look at the awesome scenery, we can enjoy that since we're not catching fish?" I only think to myself; "how can I catch them?" It just happens that bait works way way better than not.

Like I said; use what you want, we don't frown on fly guys. Which means that I said precisely what you said...only you left that part out or maybe you didn't see it.

Why don't you comment to yourself if you just want an argument...or PM me if you have a problem.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,018 Posts
Lund,
I'm sure you are an impressive fisherman, after all your avatar shows you holding a fish 4 feet away from your body, to give an accurate scale.
But, Not everyone needs to use bait or a treble hook to catch a trout. You are commenting on a fly fishing blog for someone who asks about using a fly rod. Maybe you have become enlightened by your centerpin with a tiny worm drifting below your bobber. The truth is the steelhead is a great fighter on any rod.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,018 Posts
Meathelmet,
I use a 7 wt most of the time but an 8 wt comes in handy in faster water conditions. The fly that Hipwader shows is very similar to a fly I have caught 50% of my fish on. I'm going to tie a few more with his color combos to try out. Thank you Hipwader. I have found white zonker with fire orange belly is my number one fly for most conditions except muddy water. Then I use a purple zonker with fire orange belly in the same fly.

It is a blast, have fun,
Rickerd

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Happiness for me is catching fish, not fishing so much. You know how some people say; "well look at the awesome scenery, we can enjoy that since we're not catching fish?" I only think to myself; "how can I catch them?" It just happens that bait works way way better than not.

Like I said; use what you want, we don't frown on fly guys. Which means that I said precisely what you said...only you left that part out or maybe you didn't see it.

Why don't you comment to yourself if you just want an argument...or PM me if you have a problem.
I wouldn't have replied at all if you hadn't mentioned you chuckle at the fly fishermen. You got your jab in, I got mine in. Fair enough? ;)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7bynsVfuKg[/ame]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
...If all you care about is numbers and whacking fish, keep chucking bait. For some people, that's not all there is. Do what makes you happy. If that happiness for you is finding the perfect way to drift an egg sack, knock yourself out.
My thoughts exactly, and I only have one fly-rod steelhead season under my belt. There were even a couple trips, where another fisherman came and fished the same hole (which is rare, I like my space!) with sacs, and I outfished him with my sucker spawn patterns. One of the guys even made a comment that he was going to buy a fly rod and learn!

All in all, for steelies, I've been several times more productive with my fly rod, than I ever was with my spin gear. Call it beginners luck, or operator error with the spin gear, I don't care. Fact is, I enjoy doing it!

As far as the OP, I use a 4 piece and haven't had a problem with it yet!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm happy with my catch rate fly fishing. And fwiw, I've out fishing pinners several times, but they've outfished me several times. Each style of fishing has it's time and place, but one isn't any better than the other. The person using it is in charge of how effective it is.

I agree with the others a 9ft 8wt is good. Most people say a 10ft 7wt is ideal on our tribs, which I would agree(even though I don't have one) but your 8wt will get the job done.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is my point fly fisherman only guys: Using an indicator and drifting nymphs or sucker spawn with a flyrod is a lot less productive. I not only use bait with my pin but I also use nymphs and sucker spawn with it. Your drifts are so much shorter that to me it is completely pointless.

If you don't think that there is a better way then keep using your fly rod, that is great. I was simply giving the original poster another point of view. That point of view being to use streamers and an 8wt. Which I see no difference between a 4 or 2pc rod besides easier to travel with. I have never used a 5pc.

You guys crack me up that are so defensive about your precious flyfishing. It is a tool used to catch fish. I caught a dozen trout tonight on my 4wt using dry flies and nymphs that I tied. Just so you know I'm not an anti fly guy which I thought I clarified earlier. There are plenty of guys I know that use the fly rod too and use bait. There's a time and a place for each. I have found that I catch a lot more fish. I can go a LOT deeper when fish are in deep holes down low that won't move until its in their face. I can also have a 100 foot drag free drift which I've caught a lot of fish on using sucker spawn or jigs and no bait.

To each their own.

Btw that's a 15 pound king I caught on a spoon trolling and the pic was taken in the back of a small 16ft boat. Hard to make a king look bigger than it actually is in conditions like that ;)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 20 of 35 Posts