close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State Spider Count

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, May 13, 2004.

1. All the info you'll need is in the article if you'd like to join in the "hunt".

SURVEY OF OHIO'S SPIDER SPECIES UNDERWAY

Volunteer assistance needed

COLUMBUS, OH - Volunteers with an interest in Ohio's arachnids are needed to participate in a survey to identify spider species in the state, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

ODNR is conducting the study in cooperation with The Ohio State University's Associate Professor Dr. Richard Bradley. Volunteers should be willing to donate either their time or already-collected spider specimens. People interested in volunteering may check the ODNR site at ohiodnr.com/wildlife/resources/spider/spidersurvey for more information and for details on how to collect specimen.

"Spiders are likely the most important predators of insect pests in Ohio and provide a good measure of the health of the state's ecosystem," said Bradley.

The first list of Ohio spiders was completed in 1924, identifying 306 species. The current survey has accounted for 583 species so far. Biologists estimate there are approximately 600 species of spiders in the state.

Specimens with basic data such as the collector's name, habitat the spider was collected from, date collected, and location of collection would be of particular interest. Individuals should first receive permission before collecting from private property or public facilities such as parks and wildlife areas.

Later this summer, The Ohio Biological Survey will publish In Ohio's Backyard: Spiders that will be a valuable resource on this portion of the state's fauna. This project is partially funded by donations to the state income tax check-off program for Wildlife Diversity and Endangered Species. The program is also funded by the sale of Ohio conservation license plates. The license plates can be purchased through a deputy registrar license outlet or by calling the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles toll-free at 1-888-PLATES3.

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I'll pass. LOL

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

hahaha yeah me too.

4. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Actually, it sounds kinda cool!

5. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I don't mind snakes, but spiders get to me.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I squashed one that was biting me last night, i think i'll pass

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Catking loves spiders...he will help out! :eek:

8. fishinchick

fishinchick The 'Chick!!!!

I'll try to give them an accurate count of the ones scraped off the bottoms of my shoes. :D

9. catking

catking Banned

Lewis knows the DA KING !!! quite well. I am really PETRIFIED of spiders. I kid you not. You all would not believe the things that go on around my house in the fall, during spider season. I live in a country house, rock foundation.......... :eek: :eek: :eek: CATKING :eek: