close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State recored saugeye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CHOPIQ, Nov 28, 2004.

1. I just read in the dispatch that a guy fishing for trout in Antrim landed a 14.06 lb saugeye. This will be a new state record if confirmed. They said it was full of eggs. He weighed it at Kroger.

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Can't wait to see pics of it. My buddy got a 9lber last spring and he said that his was a dink compared to the Antrim fish. Now a debate is going to rage on how it got in there. If it was full of eggs it probably came from the hatchery, and I would guess it was not a mistake. However is there a possibility that it came in from the Olentangy?

3. I wouldn't figure that any fish make it from the Olentangy into Antrim. There are several pipes leading down from the lake to the river, but if a fish could swim from one end to the other in either direction is anybody's guess. Unless that fish was a fingerling when it did so. The only other thought might be high water in the river spilling over into the lake. Can't remember if the water has gotten that high during the recent past? I only live about 5 minutes from the Park, but don't spend much time fishing there.

Eric

4. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I can't believe that the state record is going to be from Antrim caught off of a trout power nugget. Doesn't seem right. I bet that the ODNR stuck it in there. Hell, they may have stocked it that day with the trout. Anyways, still sounds like a huge fish, couldn't believe when I read the article this morning.

5. I think I am going to be sick.....
    I wouldn't doubt if they dumped it in there along with the trout. Something isn't right, it just doesn't make sense. Well, guess we should all fish at Antrim throwing rogues and husky jerks all hours of the day. I mean, that seems to be the right thing to start doing. Where there is one.......
    ying

6. I GUESS NEXT YEAR ILL HAVE TO START FISHIN TWICE AS MUCH! IF POSSIBLE! :cool: SEEMS LIKE THATS HOW A LOT OF RECORDS ARE CAUGHT AND THERES NOT TO MANY FISH THAT SIZE TO BE HAD IN OHIO.(EYES) IT SEEMS THE TWO FOOTER IS PRETTY COMMON. DOES THE DNR RELEASE THE SIZE INFO ON NETTING?

7. Wow, great catch by a lucky angler!

8. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I saw that hog! Congrats dude! I'll bet Antrim holds some other records or at least some hogs. Just when one is sure that everything is just as it should be, Mother Nature throws us a curve.

9. That is a bunch of crap. Lived 5 min from antium for 8 years. Would of fished it more if i knew.

Congrats dude nice catch. and hope you baught some lotto tickets that night

10. goldfishboy

goldfishboy Thank you, dear God, for this good life.

The saugeye is 100% from the olentangy. In the early 90 I seen some kids catching small saugeyes and filling there buckets. I said are you going to eat them they said they but them in antrim.They can still get in from the pipes.

11. jt11

jt11

I think I saw it too. I saw a guy (big guy) in the parking lot with a monster hanging out of his bucket. I think he was having car trouble because there was a wrecker helping his group with their car. Can anyone verify that was the guy and his fish?

12. it most likely came from antrim...been told that there are potential state record smallmouth and crappie in antrim...antrim has everything needed to produce record fish...but very difficult to pattern,i have caught some monsters in there and seen a great variety of fish caught including perch.also it doesnt surprise me that someone got lucky etc..with all the lines in the water and the time of year.there is transfer of water between the olentangy and antrim.would find it hard to believe small saugeye or any other fish from the olentangy dont find their way into antrim...i have been told they catch the occasional saugeye in antrim so thats not unusual.

13. Back in the late 70's/early 80's ("pre-popular park" & trout stocking) Antrim used to be much higher and water from the Olentangy did spill into it during heavy rains. Many of the fish got in there from waterfowl carrying eggs on them from other locations.

14. That fishing at Antrim is purely luck. I have seen some nice sized LM bass in the SE corner of the lake, but with all the trees lining the bank, you can't get to them very easily. You're not allowed to wade, not allowed to boat, and that lake must be pretty deep in the middle. And let's face it, there aren't many lines making it that far out. Congrats on the great catch!

Eric

15. PERMIT DRAWINGS ARE SET FOR BEAVER-TRAPPING AREAS

Published: Sunday, November 28, 2004
    SPORTS 13E
    By Dave Golowenski
    FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Trappers can get in the hunt for a limited number of beaver-trapping permits to be issued for three central Ohio wildlife areas.

Ohio Division of Wildlife personnel will hold drawings for permits Dec. 7 for both Delaware Wildlife Area in Delaware County and Big Island in Marion County. Draws are scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Delaware Wildlife Area Headquarters, 8589 Horseshoe Rd., Ashley. Arrive by 6:30 p.m. to register.

A drawing will be held Dec. 8 at Deer Creek in Fayette, Pickaway and Madison counties. The draw is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Deer Creek Wildlife Area Headquarters, 12552 Post Rd., Mount Sterling. Arrive by 6:30 p.m. to register.

Trappers 18 and older will vie for a single special beaver-trapping permit to be issued for each area. The winner will get an additional permit to give to a designated helper of any age. The helper's name and address must be written on the drawing registration. Only the applicant must be present for the drawing.

Applicants must prove they possess a current Ohio hunting license and a current Ohio fur-takers permit. Each person may enter the drawing only once for each wildlife area. For details, contact the Wildlife District One Office at 614-644-3925.

A special permit is required to trap beavers on state-owned land. Beavers normally are protected because they tend to improve the habitat for other species when they move into an area.

However, population reduction is occasionally required when beaver "improvements'' cause problems for people, said Gary Ludwig, the wildlife division's assistant wildlife management supervisor for central Ohio.

The statewide beaver-trapping season runs Dec. 26 through Feb. 28, 2005.

Fowl news

Abnormally warm temperatures and open water in the upper Midwest and central provinces of Canada have made ducks and geese reluctant to leave the summer breeding grounds, Ducks Unlimited reported last week.

Calling the situation "highly unusual for this time of year,'' Jeff Nelson, director of Ducks Unlimited's Great Plains regional office, said "there has been no snow even as far as central Saskatchewan, so there is plenty of food available for the birds. I'm still seeing lots of mallards, divers, swans and geese around central North Dakota.''

A push of cold air accompanied by snow showers a few days ago was expected to put at least some waterfowl on a migratory path.

Giving thanks

Roger Sizemore, 32, of Orient went trout fishing at Antrim Lake on Wednesday and about 11:30 a.m. latched onto a 30 1/2 -inch saugeye heavy with next year's eggs.

"When I saw it, it almost knocked me over,'' he said.

The fish had the same effect on everybody at R & R Sports Headquarters, where proprietor Bill Wentzel and others in the Columbus shop advised Sizemore he might have a state record on his hands. So Sizemore had the fish weighed on a certified scale at an area Kroger.

The weight: 14.04 pounds. The verdict: If everything shakes out, Sizemore's fish will be a state record.

Brian W. Bang of Galloway holds the current standard with a 12.84-pound saugeye taken Jan. 26, 2002, from Alum Creek Reservoir.

Sizemore said late Wednesday evening that he planned to have a particularly joyous Thanksgiving, even though he wasn't sure he would sleep that night.

Parting shots

Biologists from several states, including Ohio, have been tagging Ohio River walleye and sauger as part of a study on movement and catch rates. Anglers are being asked to help by reporting. Send the tag or tag number, date, location of catch and whether the fish was kept or released to WVDNR, 2311 Ohio Ave., Parkersburg, WV, 26101. Information can be e-mailed to fishtags@wvdnr.gov or phoned in . . . Columbus resident David King reports that the local chapter of Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry have been able to make venison donations totaling several hundred pounds to area food banks this hunting season. However, cash donations for processing are needed. Participating processors include: Thurn's Specialty Meats, 530 Greenlawn Ave., Columbus; Bay Food Market, Lancaster; and Reinschield Meats, Bremen. Contact King at 614-267-7872 or e-mail dking223@prodigy.net.

outdoors@dispatch.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  16. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Wow! and who would've though it would've come from ANTRIM.

Big weight diff from the old record too.

Congrats to the angler! That's an acheivement that 99.99999% of the angling population will never get to experience.

17. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've seen plenty of 5+ lb largemouth crusing the banks at Antrim, just never got them to bite. Haven't fished there in years. When the old'n'grundgy crests, it overflows into antrim on the south east side of the lake

18. Talk about raising the bar! I can't remember what the world record saugeye weighed...but 14.04 can't be too far off the mark.

There must be alot of states looking at Ohio's saugeye stocking program and just shaking their heads in disbelief at the quality & quantity. Truly a success story, IMO.

The first thought that came into my head when I heard the news.....someone must've caught that hawg somewhere else when it was 10+ and released it from their livewell into Antrim just to see if it would get caught again someday.

19. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

20. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

whoever you are dude, nice catch and congrats....What a Hawg!!!! :D