Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fish was recently posted on Maumee Bait & Tackle's River Report and was claimed to be a Hybrid White Bass. How so? To the best of my knowledge hybrids have never been introduced to Lake Erie.

https://www.maumeetackle.net/river-reports/maumee-river-report-17-may-20/

Virtually every single white bass that I have ever caught looks just like the one in the report. Attached at the bottom are two white bass that I caught out of a local creek yesterday afternoon. If solid bars are an absolute must then I believe that I have never caught a "pure" white bass, and I have caught thousands fishing for them every spring over the past twenty years.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1444906?seq=1

Attached is a report on the probability of a white bass x white perch hybrid. While possible, I cannot imagine one getting very large, much less over 5 lbs.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Fish Vertebrate Fish Bass Striper bass

·
Catch. Photograph. Release.
76 Posts
Waterwolf, I saw the same report and wondered the same thing; I've caught white bass without solid lines either. I may have misinterpreted your post and you may know this, but I'm pretty sure Maumee Tackle was identifying it was a hybrid striped bass, which is a cross between the freshwater white bass and the saltwater striped bass.

As for the presence of hybrid striped bass in the Lake Erie watershed, I think there are ways for them to get there. I know they are sometimes stocked in ponds, and sometimes ponds get flooded out. Escapees could pretty easily make their way downstream to Maumee/Erie waters.

One guy I know lives VERY near a Lake Erie watershed river. He bought a property with a pond but doesn't really do any serious fishing. His young son wanted to try it though, and he described what they were catching. From his description, I would ID them as hybrids. I could easily imagine a scenario where some of them end up in the nearby river.

For that matter, I would imagine they could theoretically take the same possible routes as the Asian Carp can. I just read this article recently, but there are several areas where waters from the Great Lakes watershed and the Ohio River/Mississippi River watershed can cross over at times.

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/2017/08/ohio_acts_to_keep_asian_carp_o.html

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah I'd say white bass. I've only caught a couple 1000 of the damn things and thats looks like all them just a lot bigger! We've gotten in the mid 3's never any 4's I don't think.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think that a hybrid living in lake Erie we would see the occasional 10-20lb fish come out of the lake.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Waterwolf, I saw the same report and wondered the same thing; I've caught white bass without solid lines either. I may have misinterpreted your post and you may know this, but I'm pretty sure Maumee Tackle was identifying it was a hybrid striped bass, which is a cross between the freshwater white bass and the saltwater striped bass.

As for the presence of hybrid striped bass in the Lake Erie watershed, I think there are ways for them to get there. I know they are sometimes stocked in ponds, and sometimes ponds get flooded out. Escapees could pretty easily make their way downstream to Maumee/Erie waters.

One guy I know lives VERY near a Lake Erie watershed river. He bought a property with a pond but doesn't really do any serious fishing. His young son wanted to try it though, and he described what they were catching. From his description, I would ID them as hybrids. I could easily imagine a scenario where some of them end up in the nearby river.

For that matter, I would imagine they could theoretically take the same possible routes as the Asian Carp can. I just read this article recently, but there are several areas where waters from the Great Lakes watershed and the Ohio River/Mississippi River watershed can cross over at times.

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/2017/08/ohio_acts_to_keep_asian_carp_o.html
Great theories and I suppose it is possible. Stranger things have been caught, such as the large sturgeon during the Walleye run years ago and the large Pacu out of the Sandusky river. It just seems odd that we never see any giant hybrids come out of Lake Erie occasionally with all of the charter boats out there.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Basically looks like the only guaranteed way of telling the difference is by the number of tooth patches on the back of the tongue. Thanks for the file Jo-Jo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts