close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State record saugeye. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish-4-Funr, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Does anybody have an idea of how much a mount of a state record fish is worth? I believe it may have also been recognized as a world record for the line class.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Dunno. Your brother sellin?

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

World records for line? Man, I have seen fishing shows where they were Marlin fishing w/ 4lb test. Always wondered how they did that. :confused:

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I would contact bass pro shops, they might be interested.

5. I wouldn't believe that if I was you. Just one yanks from a marlin would snap that line even if the drag was fully out. It would yank faster than the line would be about to come out. It would be yanks so fast and hard that the line would snap instead of come out.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

R&R,i would believe it if i were you ;)
    here's just one,and there are more and bigger one's on record ;)
    this one is a 2pound class record :)
    there are many huge record fish that have been caught on very light line.

7. A mount is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Taxidermy doesn't hold it's value well at all, and when the quality is poor, it makes it that much worse. I wouldn't expect to get much at all, and with the replicas these days, it may be tough to even sell.

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Plus, I would think that if the record is broken again, it would lose it's value significantly.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto.
    i would venture to say most mounts(fish or mammal) generally won't even sell for anywhere near what they cost.i think the only ones that might bring any more,would be more "popular" mounts such as record class bass,musky,etc.,and certain mammals.
    then only to a serious collector,or a company wanting it for display/advertisement/promo purposes.

10. My best friend's dad used to have the state record from the early 80's. He is a hard core bass fisherman so he really didn't care...gave his son the mount.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

pete,that reminds me of my uncle's former state/world record saugeye from 89.he wouldn't sell it for 10 grand,but i doubt anyone(but me ;) ) would give 100 bucks for it.
    in the end,he will give it to his son also :)

12. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Take a look at E-bay, I have seen plain jane mounts of deer I would never waste a shot at going for several hundreds of dollars all the time. Seems like there are a ton of "office" hunters out there now. I have met several guys sitting in there office with a bunch of mounts but have never picked up a gun in their life, lol I have thought several times about putting some of my deer on there but am not sure how the laws work for doing it.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

chessie,that's what i meant about collectors.there are some "office" hunters and others who will pay good money mounts just for decorative purposes,and/or false bragging,or other reasons.your average joe isn't likely to pay much,if anything for a mount.i've also seen plenty of fish and heads at yard sales,going for a few bucks.

14. H2O Mellon

I am shocked what EBayers will pay for mouts, for bad mounts and even bad mounts of what I would call small deer. And beleive me when I say small I mean small bucks w/ less than 8 points.

15. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Does anyone know if it is legal to sell them and ship across State lines? I would be very tempted to put up a few for sale. Mellon I have seen plain racks that would not even score over 100 go for a 100 bucks. Not a mount just plain ole racks that most guys would never shoot.

16. .
    As a taxidermist, you'd think I'd know that, but I'm not positive. It partly depends on the states envolved. I have some paperwork at home that goes through the laws of Ohio I'll have to dig out. Regardless, you also need to know the laws of the state your shipping to. Ebay is hit or miss. It's a good place to unload stuff, but it's gotten so flooded with some things that many never sell. There's a select few that get top dollar, but they put out top quality mounts. The average mount won't sell for much if it sells, but it only takes one good bidder.

17. H2O Mellon

I know someone who is getting into taxadermy & is buying capes of deer, antlers, etc.... I told him I'd check w/ the laws to make sure its legal, but man there is so much of it, I think people tend not to even care.

18. H2O Mellon

Fish-4..... I would think that the Ohio S'Eye would sell best in Ohio, as its obvious why, but maybe the State would be willing to give a better $ for it than an individual person.

19. Tell your buddy that HE needs to be checking into the legalities of those things. There are a lot of laws, both State and Federal, that he needs to be aware of. The very first thing he should do is contact the county game warden and ask him for all requirements. Tell him to NEVER accept or attemp to buy any type of waterfowl (waterfowl cannot be bought or sold, ever) until Federally licensed. He also needs to be aware of all animals that require a CITES tag. Taxidermy isn't something one can just jump into without doing some homework first. It's real easy to get into a bunch of trouble if records aren't kept properly.

20. H2O Mellon

Thats what I was a ffraid of. I have tried to tell him, but I will give him your advice. I'd hate to see him get in trouble, but at the same time I tried to warn him!