State Record Muskie caught????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skarfer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. He guys! My dad and I went to Portage Lakes yesterday and I caught this MONSTER!!!! Do you think it's the new state record?? It weighed 55lbs and was 56" long............

I released it back to swim another day........

here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just MESSIN with you!! HAHA!!! I actually didn't catch this monster - it is "supposedly" the new canadian record......just thought I'd have a little fun on this otherwise boring Thursday!!!!

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

isn't that a northern pike?

3. yeah - good call........I didn't look close enough.

I get the "DUH" award for today........

4. seethe303

nah it happens... when they are that big it moves away from anything completely identifiable into the realm of 'holy crap I don't want to be swimming with that thing!'

5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

I got an email about this fish after it was caught. here is a pic of the little fish it grabbed onto, the little fish was 36 inches long if you can believe that. Holy moly is that pike a freak of nature. :B [​IMG]

6. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

That Thing Is Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

sure you did. that photo has been floatring around the internet for a long, long time. nice try:p yes, thats a northern, not a musky

man, it's not even november yet.....

8. seethe303

I'm willing to bet that pic is from somewhere in Europe; the Netherlands, or maybe Germany.

They get some HUGE pike over here.

There was a good article on seriously huge pike in one of the more recent issues of In-Fisherman. Tha author said he didn't think Canada could ever produce a world record pike because the environment isn't condusive for the fish to get that big. he said something to the effect of 'most lakes in canada are just large sterile bowls of granite'

9. I believe that is correct. I think I recall it even showed up on the cover of a European fishing magazine.

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I got the same email from a buddy. The story said that it was caught the other day, yet, I have had the same pictures in my computer that were downloaded on 10/13/06, almost a year ago.

And, I'm sure that everyone knows that the pike in the mouth can't be a yard long.

11. Man, it must have been awfully cool there, too seeing the heavy rain gear that's being worn. And, I too have that same picture of the big pike attacking the hammer handle & have had it for just under 2 years. Come on bow season, things are getting goofy around here !!!
    Tim

12. If the pike the guy is holding is the same as the one slamming the smaller pike, how did they catch it? It sure looks to me like he just has a hold of it, dosn't look like he is hooked. Surely he would have let go at the boat!!

I have saw the pic of it attacking the smaller fish at least a year ago, but I never saw a pic of someone claiming to have caught it.

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

Yeah well fishing stories are fishing stories put the web into the mix and well you know...... I do know one thing is sure does seem like that guy caught that fish, it looks fresh fresh from the water, I doubt he netted it. Neat to see a fish that big, looks like is swallowed an 5 year old. it's a true trophy that is for sure, regardless where it came from, I've been looking at fishing magazines since I was able to read and I don't ever remember seeing a Pike anywhere near that size.

14. Oh theres no doubt that guy caught that fish, what I meant was that I didn't know those pics were the same fish. The one with the fish in it's mouth dosn't looked hooked anywhere to me.

15. Yeah - just posted that to be funny..........

Anyhow - that pike caught is the same in both pics - the bigger one was just lifted into the boat, wouldn't let go of the smaller fish.........

16. I don't recall where this was caught, I believe it was Europe, but this fish was on the cover of Essox Angler within the last 12 months - had a write up about it as well - and yes, that is an absolute HOG.

(The guy looks an awful lot like my brother, to be funny my brother had his son's friends thinking HE was on the cover of Essox Angler!)