close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State record gil???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madcrappiekids, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Does anyone know what the state record bluegil is? A buddy of mine caught a 12" - 1.8 lb gil over the weekend....man what a fish!! I'll have a picture soon, since I was not with camera at the time he is sending me pictures.

2. He was close on the length but no where near the weight. The record is 12 3/4" and weighed 3.28lbs. It was caught out of Salt Fork on 4/28/1990

Not to take at all from that fish though, that is a monster!

3. Full of eggs for sure!

A 1.8 lb gill this time of year is a monster. Nice work!

4. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

yea it goes by weight, not length, me and bubba were wondering if it went by weight or length, so we just called the ODNR.

5. CarpCommander

CarpCommander Banned

These are the guys that keep all of the records. They do require a pretty strict weight/witness/ID routine. If everything is not done EXACTLY to their guidelines, they will NOT accept a fish.

Just a FYI for anybody that does get one they think is close. (make HASTE to the closest CERTIFIED scale and have 2 witnesses there!)

Here's a list of all current records......

http://www.outdoorwritersofohio.com/

I know the routine pretty well by now.....any questions just holler. ;)

O ya-that's a MONSTER gill!!! :B

6. I thought it went by both weight and length.

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

called about what the record went by yesterday and its just weight.

8. They post the length along with the weight in the record books but the length is simply informational. The weight is the only factor.

9. CarpCommander

CarpCommander Banned

If you think about it, this wouldn't be possible. It couldn't be both-it would have to be one or the other.

Here's what an official 'Record Fish Application' looks like. It has all of the requirements and rules, and if you look near the bottom of the page it reads "Record fish are determined on the basis of weght only". An intersting thing to look at just so you would know what to do 'just in case'!

http://www.outdoorwritersofohio.com/attach/StateRecordFishApplication.pdf

Do you have any pics of that big 'ol gill? That would be a sight to see. :p

10. So much for catch & release!