close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

State Record Fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I have a question... Well, not that I would ever be in this position or anything...well, okay, maybe I would, or could be in this position... :)
    Ok, well maybe it is more like wishful thinking... ANYWAYs....If I/You/We were to catch a State Record Fish... What is the procedure that has to be followed in order for it to qualify? Who has to be contacted? Does this fish have to stay alive? Pictures taken? Weighed where? By whom? How soon after the catch?
    Just curious...and wishfully thinking :D
    Marcia

2. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

You don't fillet all 7 of them like I did 14 years ago! :eek:

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Yes,take a picture.
    Take length and girth measurements.
    Then have it weighed on a certified scale.
    It can be weighed at the local deli or grocery store,as long as the scale has the current certification sticker on it.
    A witness to the weight might also be required.
    I hope you catch one! :D

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Ok, so now I understand who and what is used to weight a fish, but what about measuring? It seems to me that people measure their fish differently. Chances are a deli owner will not know how to properly measure a fish, so now what? :)

5. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Ohio record fish are not based on length,but weight.
    The FishOhio awards are based on length.
    If you do measure one..mouth closed,tail pinched! :D

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I believe the fish has to be certified by a DNR official as well, not just "word of honesty". If your local DNR officer is cool like some up here, they will respond to a home phone call while you keep the fish alive in a livewell, etc. Be awesome to be able to get a certification from them, and release the fish alive. Not sure if they still check the insides of the fish for added weight or not.

7. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

Reel Man.....you had seven state records in one day? hmmmmmmm

8. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Basskisser1 back in 89 a farmer I used to work for let me fish in his pond. He never stocked it the fish that were there were just there. I caught 7 crappies that ranged from 18 1/2 " to 20 1/2" . I was in my 20s and quite honestly unaware of state records at the time. I didn't even look at the state records till this year. I just knew these were big fish though. The first was so big I thought it was a Bass till I got it out of the water. I'm not sure if there are still fish that size in the pond or not but you can bet Reel Lady and I have talked about finding out.

9. catking

catking Banned

There are a few record holders floating around this site. BBuck for a Saugeye and gusmatic for the channel cat. Just a little info ;) Them are surly huge crappie Reel Man, but coming out of a farm pond, understandable ;) Nice fish !!!!! THE CATKING !!!

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I always hear to take your potential state record to a local deli or grocery store to have it weighed.
    Yeah right. I could see myself walking into the local Acme store with a 17 lb walleye, 20" crappie 30 some lb. carp.
    I'd probably be arrested for DOC/Intox.
    You can't take that into a food establishment can you? Let alone ask them to put some fish with possible parasites/diseases onto their scale which they use to weigh food.
    Also does their deli scale used to weigh bologna really have a 25-50lb capacity?
    Where would one realistically take their fish to be weighed?

11. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

My guess (and daydreams) have always been, if I catch a record fish I would take it to a local bait shop. Wouldn't THEY have a certified scale? Mogadore BT or November BT or Falls Sports? You would think... That's where I would go. Does the fish still have to be alive? What if you caught a HUGE cat or muskie? Who has a livewell big enough for that?

12. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Lemmie fix this for ya ;)

-Weight must be witnessed by two people, and if weighed on a digital scale, inclose printout with application
    -Photo of fish must be included with application
    -Wrap the fish in a wet towel and freeze it, as a ODNR officer must inspect the fish for identification and verification.

The fish obviously doesn't need to be kept alive to qualify.

13. Highly unlikely. I'm sure there's a couple out there, but don't count on it.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the IGFA will certify a digital scale.

14. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

that was taken directly from the application notes

15. I took a fish to a local deli years ago,they wraped it in meat paper & weighed it.I know it was a small town but they seemed to enjoy it!You won't know unless you ask :)

16. I stand corrected. It's only SOME digital scales that cannot be certified.

17. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Here's a question. When you say certified, who needs to certify it to make it legal??? The scale at our business is certified by the auditor's office. well both of them are. the one has a 150 lb limit (used for weighing packages people bring in to ship it out) and the other is an industrial scale used in Post offices and what not. I think the limit on it is 5000 or something like that. Would these qualify? The smaller has a digital read out, but can not be printed. And it can weigh down to the hundreths I believe. I think that is all the state record saugeye won by was a couple hundreths or something like that.

Also, if the ODNR guy is going to inspect the fish, would it have to be killed?? Like someone said about checking the guts for added weight????

Thanks for any info guys!

18. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I would say the county auditor of the county the scale is located in. That should make it legal.

19. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks Lewzer, I just did not know if it had to be certified by a certain organization or what. Ours is certified and recertified once a year as it has to be for what we use it for. I just wondered...... So if that is the case, you can get ahold of me if you need a "official" weight!