close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

state forcing the lowering of pond/lake levels

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I was wondering whether anyone know of any new state initiative to inspect private dams and forcing the drainage of these lakes and ponds.
    This is a private campground that they inspected last week and forced the private owners to permently lower the water level to less than 4'.
    Now I see the AEP draining ponds thread and don't know whether its true or not but this lake is permanently ruined.:mad:
    Not to get into politics but is this a Strickland initiative/priority?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Laws have been on the books for many many years requiring inspections & permits for private dams. Sounds like somebody decided it was a good law to enforce.

3. I can't believe they would take that kind of action unless authorities felt the dam had deficiencies or there was a good chance of severe property damage in the wake of the dam, should it fail. There was a pond in the town I live near that was completely drained, because of the danger to houses that were below it's dam.

Tim

4. Why wouldn't they just ask the land owners to fix the damn if there were problems??? Just telling them to the the water to a given level doesn't fix the problem. It's a shame they lowered that lake so far down. Ohio is sort fishing water as it is!!

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

not knowing the particular situation,it's tough to judge.it is conceivable that there is damage that needs repaired.logically,that might require lowering the water level to accomplish.

6. Like misfit said, it all depends on the situation. For all we know it could be a directive from homeland security.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Exactly billybob. Someone called the state to complain about the dam not being safe, it's full of groundhog holes, roots etc... The dam and spillway were gone over several years ago and a new spillway installed.
    When they were pumping the lake the dam was checked and its solid as heck.
    But the state wouldn't let them refill the lake and made them put a new overflow pipe in the lake to permanently lower it to the present state.
    No explanation given as to why they were not allowed to refill the lake.

8. Let me see if I understand. The original dam was declared unsafe by the state so the owner rebuilt it. The rebuilt dam did not pass state inspection so the state made the owner install a drain to hold the depth at 4'.

Didn't the owner receive a written copy of the inspection? If there was no reason given on the inspection notice then I'd say take it to a higher authority and dispute it.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm with net.i just have trouble fathoming the idea they didn't give any reason :confused: :confused:
    not saying it's not possible,but i don't find it very probable either.there just seems to me there has to be something more there.

10. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I spoke with a state worker down there and asked why they were draining the lakes. He claimed FEMA was behind it. The earthen dams could pose a threat to those living downstream. There have been cases where this has happened and homes,cars etc were washed away by a wall of water. I recall reading about a dam giving way during a heavy downpour like we had just last week in Northwest Ohio. It was Beaver Hollar? in WVA, the other situation was Shadyside along the Ohio River. I don't believe Shadyside was an actual dam break but logs, earth, etc jamming up at a bridge and when the pressure got to be too great it all gave way at once thus the tragedy.

At AEP there were some lakes taken down way back in the 80's, one of them had bass and gills of record size in them. We fished it in the fall and the next spring went back and it was down. They had excavated the dam and lowered it considerably. For those of you that frequent AEP (Ohio Power) to some of us, you will notice that it is the lakes along the haul road by campsite N. That haul road runs past D, which has been taken down, past N which is supposedly being taken down and it also runs past my other lake which was taken down years ago.

That was a long winded bunch of typing...I just want to believe that they are truly justified in what they are doing. I can't believe Gov. Ted would wake up one morning and decide it would be a good day to drain someones pond:D

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The original dam was never declared unsafe. The owners as part of normal maintainence went over the dam and put in a new spillway themselves.
    It was most likely a neighbor dispute. But if you look across to the other side of the lake where the gazeebo is, the neighbor screwed himself as he only has a mudhole to gaze over now.

But anyway, I don't feel so bad about losing one of my private lakes (not actually mine, I can just fish it). Yesterday, I got permission to fish a private 12 acre lake in Twinsburg. So all-in-all, no net loss.

12. Without knowing the state's side of the story, we can only guess as to the reason.

Understand that 100 years ago, the waterways of Ohio were very, very different. All of that changed in the aftermath of the 1913 flood:

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=497

What the article doesn't include is that before 1913, there was no regulation of ponds, lakes, reservoirs or dams. Everything was built by local communities and private landowners. During the flood these make-shift dams broke, dumping even more water into the already swollen rivers and streams.

Fast forward to today. Think we have a problem with bridges in our country? You don't even want to think about the age and condition of some of our dams. And each little pond upstream that might fail in a storm could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

13. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

I don't know all the laws and regulations but just from looking it may have something to do with picture 2 if you look the pond edge is right up on the road and probably causing the road to weaken and cave in. Then if you look at where they lowered it it allows room to prevent the erosion of that road. If that isn't a county/state road and just the peoples driveway than this is a mute point but just something I noticed when first looking at it.