Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I like fireline. it was hard to get used to when I first started using it a couple of years ago. I like the no strech. I like the way it don't twist on spinning reels like mono. I seem to like everything about it but my fish catch has been down since I started using it. Yesterday, in a touniment I watched a guy catching bass in tree tops. It was cold weather and 39-41 degree water. He is a nice guy and when I asked him what he was using, he told me green tubes. I was throwing green tubes. Later I saw him in the same spot. He had gotten 3 more bass the same way. I asked him if they were still hitting tubes and he said yes. He said he was using 1/8 oz weight and I was using 1/4. I swithed and could not get a bass. He said that you can bearly feel them pick it up. He said that he had some break offs, so I wonder if he was using mono. I did't ask. Maybe I just suck. I wonder if the fireline is the problem maybe changing the action of the tube.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I like fireline also, been using for two years. Impossible to get a bird's nest unraveled. even lesser knots are impossible. just cut it out and retie.

also I think fireline is more sensitive than mono. just my 2cents.

MikeC

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I to have some diff braids that work well but...Dont get the fish like mono. Too sensative! Fish fell you before you get a hook set. Sometimes you need the stretch. Cold water

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
fireline IMO is a good strong line great for power fishing(spinnerbaits buzzbaits rattletraps) and frog fishing but i wouldnt recommend it for finesse fishing.. for my bass jigs i like to use P-Line 15lb Floroclear... its a pretty durable line thats pretty much invisible. i pulled that stuff through just about everything last year.

also like mikeC said... knots are IMPOSSIBLE to get out.... however.. get a baitcast pick from BPS its only a couple bucks and will help you a little with knots both on spinning and casting reels.. its AWESOME for getting tangles and knots out of line :D

one thing i also noticed about fireline is that when it starts to frey alittle and turn white, it has a tendacy to make a REALLY annoying sound when it comes through the guides.. >.< gives me goosebumps like someone untying dusty shoelaces eeeeeeeegh lol

other then the problems with the knots and noise.... that line can handle just about anything........

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sonic, I think you are exactly right. I got so tired of mono, I got away from it to much. I think I will try your florocarbin. I tried it before and had alot of problems with it. Then I went to floro. leaders for tubes and jigs and caught more fish. I got lazy and went back to straight fireline and really feel my catch is down. I am trying the crystal now. I'll report later.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
I have not had any good success with Fireline Crystal on my spinning reel. It twists a lot more than mono too especially when casting jigs for crappies. I never had any of these issues with mono especially on my spinning reels. I have yet to try my baitcaster that has the Fireline on it.

I have the 14 lbs test and it breaks easily...much easier than mono of lesser test strength. It also breaks very easily when it forms a knot. The line seems to be brittle and has memory. I may of just gotten a bad batch but if it continues like this I will not buy it again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love Fireline and never have any problems.Ive never seen it with much memory at all, I use 4lb on my lite rod and 10-20lb on my other rods.I switced to crystal this season.I also use mono and put 30lb Power Pro on my flipping stick.

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
im thinking of changing the line on my flippin stick to power pro as well... i hear its good stuff... i want to hit the weed beds a little harder this year with the jigs so that would probably do the trick with a problem

·
Where's the fish ?
734 Posts
im thinking of changing the line on my flippin stick to power pro as well... i hear its good stuff... i want to hit the weed beds a little harder this year with the jigs so that would probably do the trick with a problem
Wal-mart in Stow had some for sale for $8.00 last week . They are on the right side of the counter about waist high . Kinda hard to spot because it's seperated from the other line .

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Thats what i use on my steelhead rod is 8lb fireline and 4lb flourucarbon, with those two together, you can feel your minnow swimming under your float its so sensitive. I love the stuff, on my steelhead rod that is, thats all i use it for. All my other rods are for crappie.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i mainly use mono, i like the give and stretch it has, ive tried a few braids never really tried it enough to like them or not, but the time i did try them i didnt catch as many fish as i do on mono, ive also got very efficent at the sense of the mono and especially with tubes, i dont know if this will help u but most bass ive caught on tubes havnt been reaction strikes its usually a very light tap tap, and in some cases could even feel like a snag, ive caught quite a few bass that felt like snags, i also pay very very close attention to how my line is coming through the water i dont even pay attention to the location of my bait sometimes unless i dont know the cover then ill try to glance back and forth, know the cover ur fishing in, know the difference between a tap on a rock or a tree and a tap from a fish, takes time to distinguish the two but this is how ive gotten efficent with tubes and such. JMO

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of Fireline, IMO it has way too much memory and can be very devastating to a good days fishing with one backlash using a baitcaster. Getting a good backlash is inevitable when throwing into high winds trying to get a few extra yards It's not nearly as bad on a spinning reel but I'd still prefer power pro over all other braids, especially for my baitcasters. It has the least amount of memory of braids, and is very manageable with high knot strength.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear what you are saying. Those light taps is what I like the feel of fireline with. I can feel those light taps really well with fireline, but I really think the bites are coming less and less. I may try a flouro leader this week to see if I can get the best of both worlds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts