starting a new tackle box

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by the angler, Jan 5, 2008.

1. i,m trying to put together a tackle box for every season of fishing coming up for the spring ... i have some things in my bow now but not a whole lot, i,ve always used live bait for the most part.. what are some things you would consider a must have in the box.. with input form people on this site i should have a full proof box sure to bring home some keepers !!!!!!! thanks a lot guys

2. That's a very broad question. What species of fish do you intend to target? Will you be fishing lakes and reservoirs, streams, or rivers? Casting? Trolling?

3. Hets right, what species are you trying to catch? ect..,
    I have over 8 tackle boxes completely full of lures ect. and also have one that is the size of a truck box just to hold the extras (and I'm sure thats small by alot of peoples standards). I fish for basically every species out there and all of this stuff comes into play at some point.
    There are specific things I would have for certain species though and I'm sure you would get alot of good advise if you state what you'll be fishing for.

4. man roger that puts me to same i have a stick and some string compared to that ...... i would like to try to fish for everything but i think the spring is good time to get crappie and bass .... i want to get into perch and walleyes as well ....

i.m just getting started so i havent figured out the best time to catch certin fish but with this site im sure i will figure it out

5. I failed to say I have collected that from the early 50's to date I was blessed with a good job and had extra money to waste I have stuff that has never been in the water,,they say lures catch fisherman not fish.

6. Almost ashamed to say that I have more than my share of lures that caught me too! If you're looking to put together a tackle box for every season, I would start with lures that are multi-versitale (CAN BE USED FOR MORE THAN JUST ONE SPECIES). I try to keep it simple and use lures (size, shape, color) that can be used year round. It would take up less space and less on the wallet too. Before you know it, your tackle box will take on a life of its own! hope this helps. :B

7. angler,

First, you should figure out how much money you can afford to "allocate" towards fishing tackle. Remember that important things like food, clothing, family needs come first. If it's $5/week, so be it. 5 bucks can buy a handful of jigs and tails and (IMO) the lead-head jig is the most versatile and effective fishing lure ever made. If I were stranded somewhere and needed to fish for food, a piece of mono line and a jig (or a plain hook) not a crankbait will get you by. If you mainly fish from shore consider methods that work well in those situations. Learning to use slip bobbers, which can be cast distances and set to precise depths are a good choice. Live bait or jigs can be presented from slip bobbers for a variety of species. Also, as I mentioned earlier, jigs, ahile not the "flashiest" of lures are very effective. Start with the basics and learn to use them. Over time you will figure out what works for you and you will develop "favorites". Good luck and have fun!

Tim

8. Being a multi-species angler, I have several fish-specific boxes.

2 ice fishing
    4 bass (2 for cranks, 1 terminal bass tackle, 1 spinnerbait/buzzbait box, plus 3 bags for assorted soft plastics)
    3 crappie/panfish
    1 steelhead
    1 terminal tackle
    1 trolling (just getting started, but will be 3 or 4 by the end of the year)
    1 walleye jigging/casting

Lots of good tackle systems out there... Do some research and find the one that works best for you.

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

a rapala cd-7 in firetiger
    a black buzzbait

those are a couple good bass catchers

10. Being strictly a hard water fisherman, I have 4 mini-tackle boxes:
    (1) Panfish Pin-mins, flys, mini-plastics etc
    (2) Crappie/Perch Lures, Plastics
    (3) Walleye
    (4) Terminal Tackle: Swivels, Split-shots, Bobbers, Leaders,

11. roger 23; what a setup. is there anything u don,t have?

12. here ill take a shot at some specifics. Here are some basic lures that are good to have on hand.

BASS - 4 or 5 inch senko style plastics in dark shades, offset wide gap 3/0 hooks

4-6 inch sickle tail powerworms in dark shades, with 1/4 oz bullet weights for texas rigging.

#8 # 10 or #12 Husky jerk

cheap 1/4 oz tandem blade spinner bait in white or chartruse with a larger willow blade and a smaller colorado on the shaft. Gold and silver blades

A top water popper like a skitter pop, or Rebel Pop-R

Walleye/Saugeye - # 10 or #12 Husky jerk in blue back with orange belly, or clown

basic jigs and twister tails from 1/16 oz to 3/8. 2-3 inch tails in white, chartruese, orange, pink. Bright colors in dingy water, nautral muted colors in gin clear water.

Blade bait like a Vib-e or sonar in gold, silver, green/gold, firetiger

Slip floats
    crawler harnesses

Crappie Panfish - small selction of tube jigs from 1-2 inches. like southern pro tubes in colors like black/ chartruse, blue/white, purple, pink

small floats

small spinners like rooster tails, in black and white

Just some basic suggestions of some things for each species that I don't leave home without.

13. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

These guys are right...all depends on what you like to fish for but also it depends on what types of setups you have to throw. If you fish using spinning gear you will probably want to stay away from heavy tackle and lures like a buzzbait where really you need a baitcaster. Building a box takes a lot of time and anybody on here can tell you that spending a lot of money on tackle is not hard to do. You can go to Bass Pro or Cabela's and spend a couple hundred bucks pretty easily and then wonder what you don't have a month later that you feel you need. Just start building up little by little. I few necessity such as deep divers, cranks, spinners, rooster tails, jigs, rubber worm assortments, hooks, sinkers and such tackle like this are critical to have fishing for bass. Walleye you can get away with spoons, deep divers, worm harnesses, erie dearies, jig heads and twisters, and I love flukes on jigheads. Crappie jigs and berkely crappie nibbles, jigs and a couple rooster tails is all i ever chase crappie with and I have always done very good. Just so much stuff you can buy and what to think about for the time of the year, lake, river, creek, or pond you are fishing and don't forget how. Buy stuff that you can use first and build from there. Find what works and then expiriment with new lures later. Check the species forums for more specifics.

14. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

If your just starting out, keep it simple. Different size sinkers, snelled hooks and a couple of crappie rigs. Learn to use some slip bobbers. Maybe a couple of topwater baits. Learn how to use, and get a feel for your rods. The biggest thing is to learn to tie a GOOD KNOT! I use a polomar knot most of the time. Strong knot and easy to tie. Without a good knot you will loose most of what you buy. One more thing use quality line and change it at least once and maybe twice a year.

15. IDK what you are making a new box for. I would get a box for each spieces of fish. I'll tell you what I have

Box 1- Bass only {Plastics, Spoons, Cranks, Spinners, Rooster Tails, Etc.}
    Box 2- Panfish Only {Plastics, Jigs, Small Cranks, Etc.}
    Box 3- Big Game {Trolling Lures, Big Spinners, Big Plastics, Etc.}
    Box 4- Catfish & Carp {Corn, Stinkbait, Bait, Etc.}

Each Box Has Appropriate Sinkers, Hooks, Line, And Other Terminal Tackle.

Do 1 Box Per Group/Type Of Fish