close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Starter on Rude

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Millrat, Jun 15, 2007.

1. I've got on early 90's 88 HP Evinrude. I think I know the answer. but here goes anyway. When I start the motor it will crank a few seconds then disengage with a wrrrrrrring noise. If I keep trying it will eventually stay engaged and start. I figure the starter is about shot and I should replace it before I get stranded. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot, guys!

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Sounds like it is shot.
    Check with a NAPA store before you buy one from a marina.

3. Thanks, Lewis. I just ordered one from NAPA, $233.00!! Oh well, what are you going to do?

:) and bear it!!

4. Sounds like it's too late now, but you probably could have had it rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

5. I can still cancel! Anyone know of a shop near me?

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Bridges in Cuyahoga Falls rebuilt one for my brother on his 85 hp Johnson. I can't remember exact price. I just remembering it being a steal compared to a new one.

7. "EYE" DOCTOR

"EYE" DOCTOR "EYE" DOCTOR

8. Its probly the bendix on the starter the gear drive they wear out get rounded out and wont stay engaged happend on my boat bought a new one 34 $ its eazy to replace just take nut and remove then put new one it will adjust it self it spins up to engage . Just go to you motor dealer and tell him you need he shoud be able to get one. NOT A HARD JOB TAKES LESS THAN HALF HOUR . starters last along time only use them 5 or 6 mounths a year try it and let me know ( dannoll)

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

fulton armature on fulton rd. cleveland rebuilds starters and alternaters.

10. Thanks, Van. I found Kohler Electric in Elyria. It checked out good, replaced the gear, $24.00. Can't complain about that! Thanks eveyone for your help! Saved me some cashhhh!

:D