close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

StarCraft vs Monark...looking to buy one?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c75, Jan 14, 2008.

1. c75

c75

Looking at buying a new one....torn between the two...keep being told the Monarks are cheaper since they dont spend money on advertising etc....I know starcraft makes the monark...gotta be more to it than that though....opinions one way or the other..looking at the fishmaster 19'6 and the patriot 20 from monark..

let me know what you think....

thanks

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

We're looking at the Patroit 20 also. Way more boat (motor and accessories) for the money. I think it's a "Starcraft/Monark Lincoln/Ford Cadillac/ Chevy thing" if you know what I'm saying.Talking to the salesman the best value is the Monark. My wife says were getting one. This time I'm going to listen to her. ;)

3. Monarks welded- Starcraft is rivited.

Monark more geared for the family/recreational experience with some fishn' thrown in.

Starcraft is more towards fishn' with some family stuff thrown in.

Thats the general stuff at least- can't go wrong with either one, especially if she said YES!!!!

nip
    www.dobass.com

4. i bought a Starcraft, and i'm very happy with it.:D

5. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Thanks Nipididdee, now that you mention it when I looked, I mean my wife looked, at the Monarks at Vic's booth I did notice the welds and they didn't impress me too much (she didn't notice that, women are prety superficial, she saw all the other crap). But most aluminum welds don't impress me, it must be harder than it looks. I didn't see that on the Starcrafts. But I'm going to buy whatever the heck she lets me. :) Thanks for the clairifacation. I look forward to seeing you, for the first time, at Mosquito in May.

6. Talk to Blue Dolphin (Zart) he'sw a Starcraft guy, and from what I understand, Shortdrift also purchased a Starcraft...

Either way you go, let them know at Vic's that you're an OGF member... They WILL take care of you!!!

7. I had a Monark King 17 and loved it. I now fish with a guy that has a Monark Viper 19.5 and he just loves it. Great boat for the money. Both of us got them from Vick and Tommy. The Viper has been in some pretty rough seas and handled them well. Now that I live in Parma, wish I had kept my 17. It's just that it set, because we always took the 19.5.

8. c75

c75

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didnt really see where I could downriggers on the Monark....or maybe get the track rod holder system on there and put the downriggers on the tracks????

Been fishing with dipsy's and free line for years trolling, and IF I'm going to drop the coin on a new boat, I want to upgrade the fishing capabilities as well and be able to put downriggers on there..if I want, and be able to conveniently get them off of there.

One other concern I had on the Monark was if you want to take that back seat out of there, I was told to unscrew it when I didn't need it and screw it back in....now I can see if you do that 3-4 times, theres no way that back seat ever fits right as those holes would wear out.....

Sounds like I need another trip up there.....or to a showroom...

thanks for the replies...

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

c75 stop by Cranberry marina and talk to Woody. They are a Starcraft dealer. They had a few displayed at the Hawg Fest last year and if I was to buy another Alum. boat I seriously would lean towards the starcraft. Very nice depth and lots of items that impressed me about the quality.
    Monarch also has a great boat, but for fishing I don't think the Starcraft can be beat.

10. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

The Starcraft will have a better rough water ride due to the steeper deadrise over the Monark. Starcraft is more of a true fishing boat. Depends on how you rig it but either way go to Vic's and Tommy and the crew will take care of you I got my new Ranger from them, awesome guys.

11. I had to purchase a boat with deeper sides due to a balance problem I have encountered. My requirement is a boat laid out for fishing but still enough features for occasional family fun. The Starcraft Superfisherman fit my needs as far as a fishable layout with the trac system, livewells, rod lockers, tilt wheel, plenty of storage and a AM/FM radio. I took it for a test cruise in 2 to 3 footers that were starting to cap and the ride was very dry and smooth, dryer and smoother than anything else I have operated other than a Lyman. Too bad you can't take the wife out in some semi rough water and see how she feels about which boat to buy.

12. First disclaimer...this is not a sales pitch, but some info for OGF'rs.

Second disclaimer...I was so busy with the bass rigs this past weekend I'm not sure if this is even applicable for the 08's.

BUT... last year boat show time I know Vic's got a super deal on 8-9 Monarks from the company direct for purchasing them all- then passed them onto the consumer. They were the 19 foot Kings ( I think ) and came with many fancy options that you'd otherwise have to itemize and pay for. They sold all but 2 the first days of the show- the other two were swooped during the Niles show.

Short version...many of the Monark's that are for the winter shows have been deal boats in the past- meaning they have factory opts that Monark is trying to show off- Vic's puts them into a single package and they are very attractive in pricing- but also limited in quantity.

If you find what you want- have them, or me, put it on paper so you have it in B&W when time comes for your final decision- no obligation, but part of the buyers arsenal if indeed your dream rig is sold during the shows.

I'll be at the show all day Sat and Sun.

BTW- both co's offer a leakproof warranty- welded or rivited.

nip

13. Nip hit it right on the head with the above post. Get it in writing so you make sure what you understand what you are getting.

I will be at Vics booth both days again this weekend also and would be glad to answer any questions.

Good luck and enjoy the boat buying process.

Matt D

14. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

In our case were not so concerned about an extreme level of fishability. We have a 26' lyman that I removed the rear seats from to make it a very good fishing setup for out into the big lake. We just sold a 15' Sea Nymph, too small, so we could purchase something a little larger to drag around. A boat flexible enough to fish or take kids skiing in the inland lakes but large enough to take to Lake Erie out of dockage season. Espicially to do some near shore night fishing. The Monarc Patroit looked to be that perfect second boat. The boats Vic has at the shows are set-up pretty well with extras and it appears that Monarc addressed that rear seat problem. It now folds foward to become an extension of the rear fish deck. It's not cheesy either it's hinged, heavy, and solid.