close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Starcraft STX electrical fire hazard

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Thompson240, Apr 19, 2017.

1. IF YOU HAVE A STARCRAFT STX 2050

Read the attached bulletin and get this fixed ASAP!

We had a tackle box or bag on the bow that may have pressed these at some point and smoked the group of wires all the way to the battery bank.

DO NOT PRESS BOTH BATTERY TEST BUTTONS SIMULTANEOUSLY ON THE BOW EVEN IF BY ACCIDENT!!!!!

You will likely set your rig on fire.

Just found out about this service bulletin the hard way.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492628252.594225.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492628435.211203.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1492628446.340330.jpg

2. Good catch there. I do find it slightly ironic that those boats are part of the "SmokerCraft Family of Products" :confused:

mosquito walleye likes this.

3. I've been on the phone with Starcraft voicemail boxes and local dealers for the better part of 2 days now. In my eyes this is a life safety issue. I just cannot believe how difficult it has been to get any response from Starcraft. Any Starcraft Pro's on here that can chime in? Who do I need to talk to? This is not what I expected from Starcraft at all! I'm very disappointed. Something as simple as hitting two switches at the same time could burn your boat down? That seems like a self destruct switch not a battery check switch. I'm just glad we stopped it before it got out of hand.

4. capt j-rod

capt j-rod member

Well it's because now they have your money where as before they wanted your money. It's just a good old American business trick. Call Vic's he might be able to help

Thompson240 likes this.
  5. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

My buddy had an STX same thing happened to him. His was first year model 07 or 08 for the STX so they must have not changed anything since day 1. Maybe they aren't aware?

Thompson240 likes this.
  6. K gone, how long ago did that happen to your friends STX? They just put the bulletin out last month on 3-15-17. Did the dealer/ factory fix it?

7. I agree with 'j-rod'. I would contact Vic's near Akron. They sell alot of Starcrafts and are great people to work with.

8. The corrective action of adding fuses to the circuit looks like a bandaid approach to me.

9. Why is that a Service Bulletin? It should be a full on recall. And only allowing for an hour of work on it is kinda BS too.

10. I called Vic's. Super nice guy. Thanks for the referral j-rod. Vic said he knows all about this and makes changes or plain removes this crap before sending anyone out, including any older STX 2050 boats that come in for service. He said most times this goes down when someone throws a net on the front deck. I put mine over the seat post all the time and am surprised this didn't happen to me long ago! What a fiasco over something so damn preventable.