Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starcraft back live well has been leaking but only when it is full and fishing on Erie . The boat starts to take water into the bilge after the live well is clear full and starts to go out through the overflow holes onto the splash well in the back near the transom especially with the livewell pump turned on. The livewell doesn't leak when full on dry land if it is below the overflow holes. Also it doesn't leak if it is never filled up so it doesn't appear to be the fill lines under the floor. Water was splashing out of the overflow holes when it was rough one day on Erie so I plugged the overflow holes assuming the water would stay in the live well. That was the day I learned I had a problem with the overflow water from the livewell as it mostly disappeared into the bilge. Was out 14 miles last weekend and forgot I left the live well running and within 1 hour I was in standing water. AND The auto bilge quit working. That was not a good (Titanic flashback) moment 14 miles out. Trip over right then. So I used the other bilge for 15 minutes coming in at 1/4 speed. Getting tired of this. Been to shop several times to no avail for fix. Sealed connections ect. Any one else have this problem or know who can fix this?. Finding myself in standing water 14 miles out was NOT fun. THANK GOD FOR 2 BILGE PUMPS! Every time at the boast launch I have to drain water from the bilge for 10 minutes. This needs a fix. I can't be the only one with this problem. . Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not familiar with that boat, but maybe get a cooler and just keep enough water in the livewell to bleed fish out? Not trying to be a smartazz, just offering an easy solution and one that works well for us. No need for us to keep fish alive they are better when they get iced down asap.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Something that bad sounds like your livewell is not leaking but is actually overflowing into the bilge. Your normal water intake seems to be exceeding your normal water outflow until your livewell reaches full capacity and then just spills out over the top. Especially if you have checked all the fittings and hoses and they are all sound.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Something that bad sounds like your livewell is not leaking but is actually overflowing into the bilge. Your normal water intake seems to be exceeding your normal water outflow until your livewell reaches full capacity and then just spills out over the top. Especially if you have checked all the fittings and hoses and they are all sound.
That sounds spot on with issues I have. Only on Erie and the livewell fill is left on manual this happens to me. If on auto - it cycles enough to allow for it to drain properly, if left on manual - in heavier waves my bilge cycles every couple minutes as the livewell water overflow out the back into the boat and bilge out. I’ve filled completely on the trailer in the driveway and confirmed this, no other leaks and the normal overflow exits properly.
this is on a Alum Ranger.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've got an STX 2050 as well..... They have big live wells I won't deny that. But I'm really not sure that thing holds enough water to FILL the beilge to the point that you would be standing in it on the floor.

The day that happened was there any water left in the live well? What about your splash well? Dry when the livewell is filled or does the added weight cause you to sit to low keeping your splash well drains to be at the water level?

My boat doesn't take on a drop of water inland but on erie I get a bit in the beilge from water seeping in the access covers and where all of your wires and steering lines go through the splash well. I could see a significant amount of water on a rough day with a livewell filled to the very top.

I'm also a tiny bit confused on the happenings? Maybe your STX is set up different than mine? On mine the only overflows are directly on the back of the livewell that drain into the splash well and then back into the lake. The only other option to get water out is to pump it out via the drain that sits higher than the live well hence why it would need pumped. If I were to plug the overflow drains, turn the livewell pump on and forget it. Ya water is going to pump right in the boat. That's the entire reason the overflow holes are there. You said you forgot and left it running...... Running how? As in filling or as in recirculation?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I would have to wonder what the running attitude of the boat is when this happens? Is it squatting in the back? Is it happening in only trailing seas? It sounds more like a drainage issue than a live well leak issue. Could there be a possible leak in the splash well that's letting water get into the bilge?

And while I have a bass boat, I have had one thing happen that causes taking water in that exceeds the draining capacity of the splash well, And that is when I am running and shut it down quickly, my wake will catch up to me and flood the back of the boat. That was especially true when I was running in trailing seas. So now I just trim down and ease off the throttle, keeping it going a little so my wake doesn't catch up to me.

And no .... you sure don't want to be standing in water when you're 14 miles out.

Hope you figure it out sooner than later.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got an STX 2050 as well..... They have big live wells I won't deny that. But I'm really not sure that thing holds enough water to FILL the beilge to the point that you would be standing in it on the floor.

The day that happened was there any water left in the live well? What about your splash well? Dry when the livewell is filled or does the added weight cause you to sit to low keeping your splash well drains to be at the water level?

My boat doesn't take on a drop of water inland but on erie I get a bit in the beilge from water seeping in the access covers and where all of your wires and steering lines go through the splash well. I could see a significant amount of water on a rough day with a livewell filled to the very top.

I'm also a tiny bit confused on the happenings? Maybe your STX is set up different than mine? On mine the only overflows are directly on the back of the livewell that drain into the splash well and then back into the lake. The only other option to get water out is to pump it out via the drain that sits higher than the live well hence why it would need pumped. If I were to plug the overflow drains, turn the livewell pump on and forget it. Ya water is going to pump right in the boat. That's the entire reason the overflow holes are there. You said you forgot and left it running...... Running how? As in filling or as in recirculation?
Thanks for reply. If you leave the live well fill pump on and forget about it despite the overflow holes at the top back of the live well the bilge will start to fill up so amount of water coming in is not same as amount flowing out the back overflow drain holes. It appears there is water that goes ALSO into the bilge even though the excess water in the live well appears to flow out the posterior overflow drain holes. The boat will then sit start to sit low in the water. I never ever get water over the back over the transom though. I did seen those access holes with the wires going in on the splash well and considered that but they look sealed fairly well. I stuck my head in the live well and it looks like a 1 piece deal with no seams. The dealer (unbeknownst to me) caulked the round plastic screw in access panels in an attempt to rule that area for leaked but that was REALLY stupid as I could not get into the access panel and check the bilge out on Erie to see what was going on. That was a bad feeling trying to get in the access panel to check things and found they had been caulked completely shut. I probably should use recirculate but the one time I did walleye barf got sucked in recirc inflow and shut it down requiring trip to dealer to get working.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So I do agree with you that the overflows should be large enough that they would drain more than what the pump is capable of putting in..... Unfortunately that's not the case with a 2050 and I'm betting a lot of other boats too. You can't just leave it filling or your going to expiernce exactly what happened. It's designed to be filled and then then switched to recirculation.

You may be able to swap the fill pump out for a smaller gallon per hour unit if you want to try to keep running it that way or installing a ball valve to restrict what your current pump can put out?

I personally wouldn't want my well that full to begin with on erie. Of course I also don't keep fish im going to eat alive either. They either go straight on ice or are bled in the well and then put straight on ice.

Only other option I can think of would be to install an overflow tube in the drain instead of plugging it. And make the height of that tube around an inch LOWER than your overflows out the back. That way you would start draining more water before you ever got the the overflow holes.

Again though the idea of continuously running a pump that's pumping water into my boat (live well or not). miles out on erie gives me the heebie-jeebies!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Is there a access hatch in the splash well? If so maybe the seal is leaking ?
Also , you should be able to adjust the rate of fill into the live well by screwing in the fill nozzle inside the live well. It may be filling faster than the overflow can handle .

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'll have to take a look at my STX 2050, from the factory it doesn't exist its a fire hose into the live well.... Doesn't mean an adjustable valve couldnt be added though which sounds like it would solve the OP's issue

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,515 Posts
I've never had issues with my STX doing that (I have a 2012) I have left the livewell fill on before by accident not realizing it, however it was filled to the brim it was going out of the back overflows. Never filled my boat up with any water. Definitely a scary thought being out on the lake and having standing water in the boat. Main issue I have on Erie is that with the waves the water splashes out of the overflows or through the seams of the lid and I have to refill the livewell. I gave up on it a few seasons ago. I just bleed my fish out on a chain stringer and then throw them in a cooler. I use a cooler in the back that has a cushion lid so I use it as a seat as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All colonel594's comments seem on the mark. If you plug your overflow and run the fill pump for an hour...what's a typical livewell pump rated for - 350 gph??..that water has to go somewhere. No judgement here, I've done more than my share of boneheaded things over the yrs... So, assuming you normally just get a "reasonable though undesirable amt of water" I'm just going to add that fishkillers comment has a lot of merit too. And everything said by others about the livewell pump rate exceeding the drain line capacity so the well overflows to the bilge.

If the livewell doesn't leak except when filled to the height of the overflow, inspect the connection points on the overflow line and look for kinks... Based on what you posted, I would then get the bilge pretty dry and in the driveway, plug the overflow in the splash well, fill the live well to over the overflow hole w/o overflowing over the top. Go have a favorite beverage or mow the grass and then check the water volume in the live well and bilge, look for wet spots/drips on overflow hose and connections as possible. Dry paper towel on fittings if you can't see well. Underwater camera's are sweet for getting to places you can't see.

Just opinion, and I'm no expert but if that doesn't ID a problem, you may need to look elsewhere. Remember, plugging the live well overflow was a one-time deal, but it may be blinding you to other causes. It may be your auto bilge was taking care of things and you never noticed potential concerns until recent events. What little I know about Starcraft is they are awesome boats. However, any riveted boat can develop loose rivets, especially if they are doing duty on erie in rough water. A person isn't apt to baby a tin hull in rough water if they are doing 14-mile runs. Unless someone else is paying for your next boat, save the long runs for nice days, just saying. I've owned 3 previous tin boats plus my current one that I ran/run on erie. One was an old worn out I/O Starcraft, but the others were smaller but new inferior brands. They all took on some water when being pounded but stayed dry on inland lakes. As they got older, they eventually always took on water but took on a lot more when being pounded. So, go fishing but don't use the livewell for a trip in rough water or whatever. Leave the auto bilge off and inspect the bilge periodically and/or turn the pumps on with boat under power just enough to tilt the bow up and get the water to the back for a few minutes. See what drains out at the ramp. If you don't like what you're seeing, or it gets worse over time,,,- Next step is to fill the boat with water just above the rivets in the driveway (watch your tires and don't walk away with the hose on) and look for leaks and carefully inspect hull for problems. Rivets that contact bunks present a unique challenge, but the bunk carpet will get wet if there are leaks. I've done one dyi teardown and had a shop replace a bunch of rivets. Looking back on it, it was kinda fun...but I'd rather be fishing. Slowed down a lot in rough water after that.

Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also, I'm not saying it's common, but keep in mind sometimes manufacturers change things up during production. So, they may have used a bigger live well pump or different drain lines on the same model until they ID a concern or they don't have a smaller pump avail and slap a bigger one in to get the boat out the door. Your drain line could be too long and bend up just a bit... Point being others experience with the same hull is extremely useful but there could be differences in how they were rigged.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I'll have to take a look at my STX 2050, from the factory it doesn't exist its a fire hose into the live well.... Doesn't mean an adjustable valve couldnt be added though which sounds like it would solve the OP's issue
I have no firsthand knowledge of the 2050s but on some livewells the discharge nozzle inside the live well can be screwed in or out to adjust the amount of flow into the live well

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
321 Posts
My STX 2050 livewell fill nozzle is as Carpn states. My baitwell has it as well. If yours does not, you may be able to add that feature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't own an STX but I do own a 2022 Fishmaster 210. I am also experiencing livewell leakage with a full livewell, especially under power and in a good chop. My livewell is in the bow so I'd see water coming out of the bow running down my floor then into rear drains. What i discovered in my boat was there were gaps between livewell and underside of the floor so when water is sloshing around it would escape through the gaps. I filled them in with silicone caulk. I just discovered this myself so hopefully it fixed the problem ( but i think it should).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts