close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

standard outboard maintenance

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Lewzer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

What is your standard protocol used for maintaining your 2 stroke outboard?
    Other than greasing the joints a few times a year how often do you:

clean or change the sparkplugs?
    change the lower unit fluid?
    Change the seal on the lower unit plugs
    change the impeller

Anything I'm missing?

2. i would do everything but maybe the seal once a year, the sparkplugs could probably just be cleaned by blowing air across them. Definately check the impellar, i recommend replacing annually to save expensive repairs. Only costs 12-15 dollars to replace, better than a huge bill and no motor
    J

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

"Clean or change the sparkplugs?"
    -----I change at begining of season and check and clean every month.
    "Change the lower unit fluid?"
    -----I change at the end of season. Ensures no water in lower unit to freeze over the winter.
    "Change the seal on the lower unit plugs?"
    -----Only if necessary.
    "Change the impeller?"
    -----I change every 2 years at the begining of the season.

Some of this is overkill, but I also go through the fuel system once a year. Carb rebuilds, new fuel filters, never use old gas, fuel pumps if necessary and a new primer bulb every year. Primer bulbs are only $5 and usually the first thing to go.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The fuel filter is a good idea. Easy too.

How hard is it to change the impeller? Do you change it because it's plastic and it gets brittle?

5. I just changed the impeller in my outboard, and I am NOT mechanicially inclined. Once I figured out which bolt to turn and how it all worked, it was simple. I could do it now in about 10-15 minutes.

I had to change my impeller because it was not pumping water at idle... only when I had the motor opened up. The old impeller was still in good shape, but the vanes were bent too much and would not pump the water like it should have.

I try to go over my motor twice a year, and replace most of the items you have listed every 1-2 years.

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

The worst part of the entire job is the shift shaft and that isn't that awful- just tends to be in a tight spot. 5 or 6 bolts normally and the lower unit drops off and the water pump is right there.

I always recommend doing the entire upper housing along with the impeller- it gets worn too. The kit doesn't cost much more than just the impeller kit and it's a little extra peace of mind. I need to do mine soon come to think of it.

UFM82

7. Once a year at winterization I do pretty much what you described. My list is below:

-Run the gas out.
    -Drain the gas bulb thing & clean.
    -Clean the fuel filter (run gas through it backwards)
    -Blow fogging oil in the air intake, working the choke until gas runs out.
    pull the plugs and inspect, clean, sand lightly or replace if needed, blow fogging oil in the hole from the plugs and pull the starting cord a few times to turn the engine over and oil again. Then reinstall the plugs.
    -Drain and replace lower unit gear lubricant.
    -Check prop is tight

I dont do any other maintenance all year. I suppose I should consider the water pumps, but Ive never had a problem with one so I havent figured out how to change them yet.

A word on that prop tightness thing - make sure you have the proper fastening hardware and it is torqued down - I just lost a prop to some mickey mouse fastening hardware that was on my motor when I bought it used. $100 prop or $1.50 in spacers and nuts. I'll never make that mistake again.