close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stand Set-up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Boston30, May 24, 2007.

1. I recently acquired some new hunting land. The land is comprised of about 50 acres corn/soybean and 50 acres woods. Being so late in the Spring should i even attempt to venture back into woods to clear out stands or just set up around the perimeter until new sign appears this fall??? It's really hard to recognize rubs/scrapes with the woods so thick.

I can definitely identify trails around the crop fields, but really have no idea what the rest of the woods is comprised of. Any suggestions?

2. If it were me, I would still get out there now to see what you can see. Trails, especially heavily used ones are still good places to hunt while learning a new area. I don't think it is a bad idea to check it out, start planning how and where you will hunt it and start clearing out for stands as soon as you figure it out. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. Good Luck!:!

3. Get me permission to hunt it too and i will show you how I would do it....lol

But really, I would check it out now. You will be able to see last years rub lines still. You may even see some old permanent stands ( I would be careful if you decide to climb one though) but those are usually in half decent locations. Just those two things could give you a head start. Look for some big oaks, they may produce this year for you. Most important thing you could do there, since they is a big field is scout scout scout the month before season. Set up as far from the woods as possible with some good optics. If you get lucky a nice bachelor group will be using that field. That will give you an idea when and where they come out, morning and evening.

4. Thanks for the input. I appreciate your help.

5. DLC

DLC

I would start looking now. Look for old rubs. Look for funnel areas. Look for trails. Get to know the lay of the land; ie bedding areas, any creeks.....
    Watch the feilds in the summer to get an idea, but keep in mind that they will change a little once season approaches. They will not hit the beans as heavy once the leaves start turning on the beans. If you have standing corn next to the woods hunt that edge. The deer will be in standing corn to feed and bed and they love to travel the edge of the corn/woods. Better yet if the corn comes up to an inside corner of the woods.

6. yea man you cant go wrong with hangin a stand right at he corner of the woods and corn/bean field, will always be an evening producer!!!