Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stainless Steel plate?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Was wondering where in the world I could get a stainless steel plate at? It would only have to be about 4" square, maybe 4"X 6" and maybe an 1/8 or a 1/4 inch thick. My problem.........I have to cut a hole in the gunwale to get to my boweye which is pulling out. Only easy access is directly in front of the trolling motor pedal, and I'd like to mount a fishfinder on the plate once I replace the bow eye.

    Would you guys just use a jig saw to cut the hole, and with a normal blade (or something different forr fiberglass)? And what type of screws will I need to mount the plate on there afterwards? Thanks all!

  2. DaleM

    DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

    You can use a piece of diamond plate alum, just as well. It is as tough, weighs less and cost a whole lot less. Also drills easy. You can get that at most any Home store or a good hardware. If not there most all places that sell metal can fix you up. Check junk yards also.

  3. Hook N Book

    Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

    Go to the nearest scrap yard...they should be able to fix you up. If you go with the stainless you'd better have some really good tools to bend, cut or drill it. Use stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts. You can pick them up at most hardware stores by the piece.