Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and the river was up but fishable. Had to pick and choose my spots to wade as I couldn't see the bottom, but I was careful. I fished the first 1.5 hrs with plastics (tubes, craws, jigs, etc...) and only had one bite. Moved to a bomber shallow diving crank the last half hour or 45 min and landed 6 fish. Boy do I wish I would have put that crank on earlier...lol Had to leave so it was fun while it lasted. Here are a few pics of the fish...biggest was about 16 inches, most in the 13-14 inch range.

Attachments

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarity was about 6 inches...river is up about a foot or so but it is still fishable. With the warm front coming in I would think this weekend might be pretty hot action. I have fished with it worse than today so it wasn't that bad. Caught the fish in pretty fast moving water, best luck I have had in fast water this year. Cant wait till the weekend!

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey man nice smallies i also hit the river tonight caught two smallmouth about 12 in and lost another about the same. i also got a 12 in sauger and two little white bass. all in the mouths of some creeks. got them on a gray grub and black head. tried a crank but didnt have any luck. hey lmrsmallmouth what color crank did you use. cant wait for the river to go down just a little more.

·
Registered
675 Posts
kevin....looks like u had a good night.... U better keep that up if u want a chance at beating young whiskers and I.......................hahahaha

NICE FISH!! gimme a call and we can fish sometime this week

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lurer...I didn't catch the temp, felt like perfect temp for smallies though...I dont have a thermometer, I just use the "hand in the water" method.

Dave...I am going tomorrow afternoon for sure. Probably about 1-2 oclock. Let me know if you get out of class early. I want to go right now but wife is giving me chores tonite. I will probably go Wed, Fri, and Saturday.....weather is looking great!

·
LMR poison ivy master
158 Posts
i headed up north to lebanon today to try to catch my first smallie. not sure where to fish or anything so i just drove around till i got lucky... Ended up fishing in south lebanon at the baseball field on main... couldnt get anything to hit. then went further down by the other fields and still nothing... i tried craw cranks, white grubs, crankbaits, spinners. nothin.. decided to head north to morgans canoe and couldnt find anywhere to park.... rough day, 0 fish... caught a clam shell though, hook happened to land in a hole in the middle of it.. htought it was a smallie, damn. not really sure what to look for... found some 3 foot deep clear water next to rapids and a creek... didnt even see fish swimming by.. you gotta help me with some reeling in technique and how to fish moving water

·
LMR Master Angler
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scrawfrd02, were you wading? A pair of waders will do WONDERS for your success in the LMR. You were fishing in productive water, you just have to be able to get to where the fish are. With a pair of waders (you wont need them after June) you can get to water that isn't fished by every person who pulls up, parks, and starts casting. Also, which Morgans did you go to? Morrow or Ft. Ancient? THere is a public parking area right next door to Morgans in Ft. Ancient, Morrow has alot of access but you have to know where to access. I cannot stress enough the importance of getting away from EASILY accessed areas. Try hopping on the bike trail and taking a trek away from easily accessed spots. The bike trail goes ALL ALONG the river, you will find spots if you are willing to walk alittle. PM me if you want more info, I can't get too detailed in a public posting but we can talk if you want some help. MOST importantly, get some waders if you are wanting to get serious about catching smallies in the river. You can find a decent set of waders and wading shoes/boots for about $100. If you take care of them they will last. I am on yr 3 with my current set of waders and boots. Well worth the investment.

P.S. - if the creek you are referring to was in South Lebanon behind the ball fields, that place is junk. It is Dry when their is no rain. Looks like a good creek when the water is up, but their is nothing there. That does make a good access point to get to the river though. Many times I have parked at the park/ballfields, walked down to the creek and accessed the river from there. Just dont waste time trying the creek...lol Access there and walk down towards the 71 bridge fishing while you walk. That is about a quarter mile stretch that has been a great producer on some days.
I will be going tomorrow Early Afternoon for 3-4 hrs, probably around 1:00 PM if I get my work done in time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts