close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

stablizers

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by harry1, Jun 20, 2004.

1. the boss and i hit hoover in the canoe today. didn't catch much, a few gills. we were trying out our new stablizers. they realy were amazing. when lowered, you can stand up in the canoe.

2. Steve was telling me about those. How much did they set you back? Im getting a canoe next week. But i got to get a roof rack for the Taurus. I need stabalizers as ive got major back problems and i would probably flip as my balance is off! I picked up a 80lb trolling motor to put on the canoe, since im lazy now, actually cant paddle untill my back is fixed. We went out to trapper johns last sunday and did the six mile in 1 hour. MaN was the darby high :p

3. i got the stabilizer from spring creek canoe & kayak accessories. www.canoegear.com. they sell two types, i got the cheapie. the more expensive looks like one u could actualy run with the stabilizers down. with the stablizers in the 1st position, out the first click and up, the canoe won't turn over when under way but will still rock and roll. in the second position, all the way out and down, u can actualy stand up in the canoe and it doesn't tip at all. u could sit on one of the gunels, and it still won't tip. great for fishing.

i don't think either one is good for river running. they take the agility out of the canoe and i think they would constantly be in the way. canoes have a lot of secondary stability but not much primary stability. these things give you a bunch of primary stability. they take the strain out of a lake. when u r moving the secondary is just fine, but when u sit a canoe doesn't sit still and these things take care of that.

bass pro has a one man loader for roof toping ur canoe. it works if u have a hitch. easier on the back.

pm me and we'll get together and go smallie-ing on one of these rivers around here.

4. Im up for that. WHere do you usually go?

5. all the rivers around here are full of smallies. they all aren't big ones but there is plenty of them.

the sciota above the split is one of my favorite places because it's close. i also like the hocking and the little miami. i've heard that the darby offers a way to avoid trapper john's traffic but as of yet i've not checked it out. this saturday the boss and i are going to do the kokosing.

sunday im thinking about the hoover lake to use the stabilizers.

6. THERE IS ALOT OF TRAFFIC FROM TRAPPER JOHNS, BUT IVE NEVER BEEN SKUNKED! GOT A 6.5LB LRG MOUTH THERE LAST YEAR, AND SMALLIES AVERAGE 14". LOTSOF FUN ON THE ULTRA LIGHT :D :cool:

7. the boss and i are going out sunday. i don't know where. it'll be a late start because 1. i'm going out tonight and 2. because the boss gets cold easy and we have to wait for the heat to keep her from turning blue. let me know if you're in to it.