Stabil Marine additive

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by normd, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Saw an commercial on the Outdoors Channel about adding Stabil to your outboard every so often. I have a 2-stroke 50hsp Merc. Is this something I need to be doing on a regular basis? Or does it just need to be done when winterizing.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

not sure about the stabil, but i and a lot of others use use seafoam regularly as an additive to help fight carbon buildup.

3. I add Seafoam to my boat with a built in tank on a regular basis and also for winter storage. On my outboards with portable tanks I add seafoam with each gas addition through the season, empty the tank for winter storage and run the outboard out of gas. I also spray some light weight gun oil into the cylinders and pull it over a few times without the plugs installed and them put the plugs back in and pull it over a few more times. Been doing this for over forty years and never had a ring seizure problem even after long term storage.

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Say you go out fishing and put fuel in the boat in May. Then June rolls by and maybe you're too busy. July comes and you get out mid-month. Over even that period of time the gas will deteriorate a bit and lose a little octane. By adding Stabil you slow that process dramatically and help keep that fuel fresh. I've seen outboards in less than perfect health not even start on 3 month old fuel. Original fuel quality has an impact as does storage methods. If your fuel tank sits exposed to sunlight the heating/cooling effect takes a toll.
    For the added cost of a bottle of Stabil and the help it provides, it's cheap insurance if nothing else. My boat gets it in the spring during the first fill up, mid-way through the summer and then again in the fall. I figure with a tank the size of mine (69 gallons) there is always SOME Stabil in the fuel. That beats nothing.
    I also SeaFoam at the end of each season as well.

UFM82

5. I've been dumping a can of Seafoam in my boat's gas tank every third trip to the gas station since it was new. When I know it's the last trip of the season, I dump a can in and top off the tank.

6. There are a few different schools of thought on this. I put seafoam in with evey gas up like most of the others. I have a plastic on board tank that I like to have about half full at the end of the season. To this half a tank I add a whole tanks worth of seafoam and winterize. In the spring I fill up, de-winterize and am ready to go.

7. At $7 a pint, it sounds like a $400 winterization. I always wondered how the other half lived. Now I know.

8. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

A non-outboard guy here... Stabil, marine version, for winter storage.
    No troubles here.

9. I was told that I should add Sta-Bil to every tank full for my 9.9 4 stroke Evinrude. I traded it in on a 9.9 4-stroke Mercury and still add it. I run it like that all summer and the Merc purrs like a kitten. I think at haul out, I'll fill the tank full with gas that has Sta-Bil added.

10. When I said "To this half a tank I add a whole tanks worth of seafoam and winterize"

The operative word would "worth"
    Meaning a double treatment, NOT half a tank of seafoam:p

I don't really know what half I am in but I only have a 10 gal. tank and it would STILL be expensive;)