Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been trying to do my research for a new walleye rod for this spring, primarily to use on the Maumee River run.
I was originally going to go with the St. Croix Eyecon, but after reading some not so favorable reviews, I think it may be worth the extra $60 and go with the Avid (better warranty and materials).
I'm thinking about the Avid 6'8" XF or the 6'9" XF. I believe the 6'8" is more of a medium, and the 6'9" is more of a medium light.
Does anyone have any suggestions on one over the other?
Will the XF tip be okay for the river?
Any experience with either of these rods or other suggestions?

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used a 7 6 med light premier series rod when I use to fish the maume never had a problem and you get more sencitivity with the ligher rods

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hunter,

I haven't fished the Maumee, but I would with the Medium Power Extra Fast Action rod.

The tip on the St. Croix MLXF is a little soft for my taste when the rod is built with traditional sized guides. Reducing the inertia on that type of blank with micro guides near the tip would make it feel much more crisp and allows the rod to react and recover quicker and more efficiently.

Joe

·
Registered
220 Posts
I fished the maumee river for many years...i used to live walking distance. Always used a 6' 6" st. Croix triumph medium fast action. Its got enough backbone to get your lure un snagged and stands up to all of the abuse pretty and the are like 80 bucks at dicks. Anyone who has fished the maumee river knows what i am talking about. Its fast current and snag central but fishing there is great if you can handle the crowd

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts