close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

St. Clair

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by r9ptbuck, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Just got back from St. Clair. It was my first trip up there, and man was the fishing tuff! We were apparently 1-2 weeks late. All fish were caught in 20+ FOW. Which means you were running 8-12 miles to find the fish. Did manage to loose a 6+ pounder at the boat. The lake was beauitful, and man was it clear. If I go back it would most likely be in June.

2. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

You were way to deep! Just fished the BFL tournament there Saturday and the winning weight was 21lbs something. From everyone I talked to, most fish came in 4-6 FOW. My fish came in 8-12. It seemed if there weren't any weeds, there weren't any fish. I was fishing way to deep after talking to everyone else.

3. Rutty,

Were you fishing for LM or SM? Everyone we talked to were fishing for SM in deep water. We did catch some LM in relativley shallow water 8-12 FOW. Hopefully next trip will be better.:D

4. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

Smallmouth.

Deep is pretty relative when talking to people on St. Clair. Most people think deep is the 12-15 foot range.

I didn't see any LM brought to weigh in.

5. fish it in late may for numbers

6. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

I would have to agree with that.

7. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Fish the rivers. Also, a friend of mine just came back from the weekend. They caught plenty of pike, walleye, perch, rockbass, redears, had one musky on but came off. I don't think they targeted the bass too much but still were pulling in a few while fishing for the others.

8. My buddy went up and trolled for ski's for 10 days (he is experienced and goes every year with a buddy who keeps a boat on the lake) during first couple weeks in June and they did LOUSY! 2 small ski's and one 34 inch pike for 10 days of trolling. Said they thought they were too early by a week or two and this was the worst they have ever done up there.

9. I just got back from a great trip up there. We had a tourney out of Mitchells Bay and my weight of 19.2 was good for second place. All fish were caught in the same area. Found good numbers of smallmouth in a 15' hole that is surrounded by 13'. As for weeds, they were scattered in the hole, but not thick.
    The whole pattern was much different than the one established on the edge of thick weedbeds in 8'-10' that I'd defined in practice. On tourney day it just wasn't working, so I went to plan B and was culling nice sized fish within a couple hours.
    It was my first time up there and I've never experienced fishing like it. What a great lake!

10. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Was it the SWOBA tourney? We used to fish a few of those and then fished with the ECBA for a few. They went out of Mitchell's and Deerbrook (for the St. Claire ones anyway. That place will ruin you for wanting to fish in Ohio again.

11. It was just a local club. I can't wait to get back up there again.